Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'm curious about specific waysit helped: less pain, less frequent diarrhea, etc.? most people just say it as a miracle.tom

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'm curious about specific waysit helped: less pain, less frequent diarrhea, etc.? most people just say it as a miracle.tom

· Registered
387 Posts
Tom - for me Lotronex did a couple of different things. It made my stools less frequent and the consistency of them was pretty firm. I even had days where I didn't go, but I was never constipated. The thing I hate about my IBS is the unpredictability of it - the only predictable part is that I know it will happen when I least want it to! With Lotronex, my bowel movements were more regular and there was no urgency except when I would normally expect it - like around my cycle. But even then, it was never as bad as pre-Lotronex.I hope this helps!AnneMarie

· Registered
387 Posts
Tom - for me Lotronex did a couple of different things. It made my stools less frequent and the consistency of them was pretty firm. I even had days where I didn't go, but I was never constipated. The thing I hate about my IBS is the unpredictability of it - the only predictable part is that I know it will happen when I least want it to! With Lotronex, my bowel movements were more regular and there was no urgency except when I would normally expect it - like around my cycle. But even then, it was never as bad as pre-Lotronex.I hope this helps!AnneMarie

· Registered
568 Posts
I took Lotronex for 8 months and I had 1 bout of diarhea in the beginning, maybe two weeks after starting it. I went from having several painful bm's usually resulting in D per day to one normal painless bm per day. Diarhea and pain were gone and I ate and drank anything and everything I wanted. I went through an acquisition at my company where my husband and I both worked. He has since been laid off.I was in danger of being laid off as well. My mother passed away. We had an addition put on our house which was a debacle to say the least and throughout all of this, no attacks. Now, since I have no Lotronex, all of the pain and diarhea are back in full force. The only unpleasant side effect from Lotronex was a lot more gas, not painful though. Tom, was this what you wanted?

· Registered
568 Posts
I took Lotronex for 8 months and I had 1 bout of diarhea in the beginning, maybe two weeks after starting it. I went from having several painful bm's usually resulting in D per day to one normal painless bm per day. Diarhea and pain were gone and I ate and drank anything and everything I wanted. I went through an acquisition at my company where my husband and I both worked. He has since been laid off.I was in danger of being laid off as well. My mother passed away. We had an addition put on our house which was a debacle to say the least and throughout all of this, no attacks. Now, since I have no Lotronex, all of the pain and diarhea are back in full force. The only unpleasant side effect from Lotronex was a lot more gas, not painful though. Tom, was this what you wanted?

· Registered
256 Posts
I have taken Lotronex since it was introduced. When they withdrew it from the market, I kept a supply and decreased the dose to once a day. For me it decreased the frequency of stools from 3-4 soft to liquid stools a day to one firmer stool a day. More importantly, I rarely have urgency and have had only one episode of incontinence on the Lotronex. Prior to Lotronex, I had urgency 2-3 time a week and incontinence every other month. I couldn't travel or go out for dinner or to a movie. It is possible for me to "override" the Lotronex if I eat certain trigger foods. Hope this is helpful and I pray that Loronex is reintroduced soon. I know that I am not the only person that found such relief from it.

· Registered
256 Posts
I have taken Lotronex since it was introduced. When they withdrew it from the market, I kept a supply and decreased the dose to once a day. For me it decreased the frequency of stools from 3-4 soft to liquid stools a day to one firmer stool a day. More importantly, I rarely have urgency and have had only one episode of incontinence on the Lotronex. Prior to Lotronex, I had urgency 2-3 time a week and incontinence every other month. I couldn't travel or go out for dinner or to a movie. It is possible for me to "override" the Lotronex if I eat certain trigger foods. Hope this is helpful and I pray that Loronex is reintroduced soon. I know that I am not the only person that found such relief from it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks. ould you say lotronex gives you more control over the size and shape of the bm? rather than just relieving pain?lubner - i see you are new to the bb. you might want to check the lotronex forum and join the lotronex action group. lotronex is not dead.tom

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks. ould you say lotronex gives you more control over the size and shape of the bm? rather than just relieving pain?lubner - i see you are new to the bb. you might want to check the lotronex forum and join the lotronex action group. lotronex is not dead.tom

· Registered
387 Posts
Tom - regarding size and shape...before Lotronex my bowel movements were always very loose or liquid-like. Once I started the Lotronex they were firm, but not difficult to pass. Of course, now without Lotronex, I'm back to the same old looseness. So yes, I guess you could say it changed at least the shape of the stool. If by size, you mean the amount of stool, it's difficult for me to say.

· Registered
387 Posts
Tom - regarding size and shape...before Lotronex my bowel movements were always very loose or liquid-like. Once I started the Lotronex they were firm, but not difficult to pass. Of course, now without Lotronex, I'm back to the same old looseness. So yes, I guess you could say it changed at least the shape of the stool. If by size, you mean the amount of stool, it's difficult for me to say.

· Registered
1,800 Posts
Tom,I took Zelnorm in the Phase III clinical drug trial. I'm IBS-C and the most notable effect was that I spent the morning in my doctor's bathroom after taking it. It cleaned my system out (and it needed it at that point). The major thing I remember about the drug and why I thought it was a miracle was that it completely relieved the pain, bloating, distension, and discomfort of IBS. ------------------***Gail

· Registered
1,800 Posts
Tom,I took Zelnorm in the Phase III clinical drug trial. I'm IBS-C and the most notable effect was that I spent the morning in my doctor's bathroom after taking it. It cleaned my system out (and it needed it at that point). The major thing I remember about the drug and why I thought it was a miracle was that it completely relieved the pain, bloating, distension, and discomfort of IBS. ------------------***Gail

· Registered
615 Posts
You know, this is horrible! In a way I am glad I never had the chance to experience Zelnorm ...to have it, then have the one drug that helps removed must be just horrible
As bad as it is now, I think I'd be horrified to have the perfect med, then to loose it
I'm very sorry for you all!

· Registered
615 Posts
You know, this is horrible! In a way I am glad I never had the chance to experience Zelnorm ...to have it, then have the one drug that helps removed must be just horrible
As bad as it is now, I think I'd be horrified to have the perfect med, then to loose it
I'm very sorry for you all!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.