Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was half listening to the CNN financial report or update (CNN 2:45pm EST)and heard the reporter say from the floor of the NYSE that Glaxco is launching Lotronex in February of 2000. She said it is expected to make Glaxco a fortune, around 2 billion dollars I think. Its starting to sound like it is really moving forward. Now if they would only find something for those of us who swing both ways (D and C)
Just thought I would pass this along
------------------Nancy

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
February?! Two or three MONTHS?! Wow, Nancy, far out!Sorry you're C and D, but I want to pass on something KateTn just quoted to me from "The Second Brain": "Good advances are coming. We are going to learn how the bowle knows when to mix and when to propel, how the brain and the enteric nervous system coordinate their respective actions, and what the meaning of all the messages these two system send back and forth to one another. We are going to be able to provide doctors with safe and effeective drugs that can calm an irritable colon, bring regularity to those who have lost it, cooperate with the massive immune system of the gut to improve resistance to an infection and even to control inflammatory bowel disease. Best of all, we are going to put a smiling and carefree face on all the millions of abused people with functional bowel disease."You listening, Eric, Lala and all of you I may have missed who have both? Thanks again, Kate for finding this more memorable quote.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I heard the same thing on our local news today before I left for work. All I can think of is how great it would be to actually live a normal life. No more panic attacks looking for the bathroom. Maybe even go out to dinner, I haven't done that in almost two years.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
That is good news. Now, even though I've been following the threads on it I'm still a little confused. Does lotronex help mainly D or will it help people who lean towards C and have mostly abdominal pain? Jean------------------"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." Babe Ruth. And I'm also Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS! Jean

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
It is for D, Jean -- but Kate was theorizing a few weeks ago that it might end up working for "C's" because it mediates the amount of serotonin in the gut and sometimes C people have just as many contractions as D people (a surprise to some). Not sure if I can explain it, but she did a splendid job in my thread "5HTP, Receptors and IBS". Zelmac, for C people, is probably going to come out in ten months or so. It will be submitted to the FDA for approval in January, someone said here the other day. So if it goes on fast track, it might even come out sooner.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Thanks, Persist. I'll keep an eye on the posts. My biggest problem is the abdominal pain which could be anywhere - left, right, upper, stomach. Oh, well. Hopefully these new medications will work. Jean------------------"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." Babe Ruth. And I'm also Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS! Jean

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Jean, it's 5HT, Receptors and IBS -- not what I said.And Lotronex is really for abdominal pain, but a surprising side effect was, it helped D, too. The packaging will only say "For abdominal pain and bloating," etc.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Because of how lotronex works, you would have to say its worth trying by anybody with diagnosed IBS (either D, C, D&C) I would check with your doctor no matter what your symtoms.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think the success of Lotronex will do more than make Gallaxo a lot of money. If it does become a big seller, it will also point the high incidence of IBS is society at large. It will certainly induce other drug companies to put more time and money into research and development for IBS. Lastly, maybe IBS will get more public exposure, despsite the subject matter.Tom

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Well, I don't want to be a naysayer, but I read that a side effect of Lotronex can be constipation, so I would really talk to my doctor if I was a C before asking for it. Yes, it is supposed to help with abdominal pain, but if a side effect is C, you guys just may have to wait for Zelmac.------------------Fear can hold you prisoner.......hope can set you free.Missycat

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I thought about that too, Missycat. About the C's kind of having to wait for Zelmac.IBS2 -- see my post on Glaxo News in The Wall Street Journal -- I'm just about to bump it up, heh heh. It does say that a lot of publicity will be drawn to IBS now (in fact, Glaxo's sending out packets of info on IBS RIGHT NOW to newspapers and TV stations!) It also mentioned other companies that are getting into the act to compete. It did say that lots of people who have occasional diarrhea and abdominal pain, however, will be running to doctors thinking they have IBS, so a set of criteria will have to be formulated!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the feeling that IBS/bowel related problems are so widespread, and they are so under-reported, that if Lotronex and the other drugs in this family actually work, they are going to take off in populariy beyond even the drug companies wildest imagination. This will cause their stock value to shoot up. So it's probably not a bad idea to buy some now and hold on for the ride if you're truely optimistic.Skeeter

·
Registered
196 Posts
I don't think you'll see is a rash of people rushing out to get a prescription of this/these new drugs for IBS. I think what you will see is a significant amount of people who have suffered in silence will find, through public education by the drug company, exactly what's been causing their misery. I only hope is that the drug will indeed help the 70% of the people who take it as the drug company states, including me!Tom

1 - 15 of 15 Posts