Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,Following upon the argument which seems to be quite popular in IBS literature: "In one such study, by Silverman and colleagues(15), IBS patients but not control subjects reacted to physical sensations from a painful balloon inflation in the rectum with increased blood flow in the left prefrontal cortex, a part of the brain known to process personally threatening information. In contrast, this study and others(16-17) found that IBS patients do not show activity in the anterior cingulate cortex that is indicative of general discomfort in healthy subjects. IBS patients are also more likely to respond to physical stimuli in the GI tract by activating brain centers that handle emotional events. Collectively, this suggests that IBS patients may process body information associated with bowel sensations (and perhaps other physical sensations, aswell) differently than other people, interpreting them as personally threatening and more emotionally relevant events rather than just ordinary discomfort. Such different interpretations of physical sensations would also explain hyper-attention to suchsensations. "It appears to me that perhaps Lotronex and Cilansetron may help those of us who have super-anxiety to calm down, and thus release the always strained neck and chest muscles we have which cause tension headaches. I would even go further and suggest that perhaps this class of drugs may help the chronic fatigued patients whose bodies may be constantly tired and filled with lactic acid due to the constant muscle strain induced by tension.My question to current and past lotronex and cilansetron users is if these meds helped take tension headaches away, did they help you get back that feel of having energy and the 'wantingness' to get up and do something ?Cheers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts