Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doctor has never mentioned Lotronex and I am seeing him next Tuesday so I thought I would bring it up to him then.I have a question though. I am IBS-D but my major issue with IBS is the pain, not the diarrhea. I am wondering if Lotronex has helped any of you with the pain aspect. I did some internet searches and some searched here on the board and it seems that Lotronex is mainly used to treat diarrhea. Thanks.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Im IBS-D with pain being my major problem, immodium does a reasonable job at controlling the D. I had good results with Lotronex controlling both D and pain, although if you dont have bad D you will have to be very careful about C. Also I needed 4mg per day to get good results (double the recomended dosage) but being male may have been the reason for this.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Lotronex works differently than Immodium. The way I understand Lotronex is that those of us that need it have guts that overreact to the serotonin in the gut. Lotronex blocks the serotonin in the gut. I highly recommend Lotronex, but only if you have had all other tests, which it looks like you may have. Start out with a half of a milligram, which is half of the 1 mg tablet, it is blue. They sell .5 mg tablets but they cost the same as 1 mg tabs. I cut mine in half. Start with .5mg a day for a week then if you need more take an additional.5 mg another time of day. I take .5mg in the morning and .5mg in the late afternoon or evening. Sometimes I need a third dose. It really helps. Talk to your doctor. You may have to help him/her. Tell them they can go to Lotronex.com and download the forms. The abdominal pain I get is mainly gas and GasX usually helps with that. I mainly have constant D all day every day without Lotronex. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Lotronex constipates me as well, but I have a diet which is fairly low in fibre. I started on 1mg, got a little C, increased the fibre, got D, increased the dose.. and so on. At 4mg a day everything balanced out nicely, I was getting 30g of fibre per day (recommended intake) with normal BM and little pain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.