Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was originally on Lotronex before it was banned by the FDA and before it was restricted to women. I was once on the compassionate care program as a man to get Lotronex, but my insurance lapsed and I was unable to pay for it. I'm looking to try to get on Lotronex again, after five years of trying other meds and nothing has been working nearly as well.Can anyone recommend a GI doctor or any doctor in NYC who would be comfortable prescribing for a man? And does anyone know if the compassionate care program still exists for men?Thank you so much.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If no one has a lead you might check with the pharmacist and see if they will give you the names of those in the area that prescribe it. They may not know men vs women, but sometimes they will help you find out what doctors can prescribe it at all.Are you unable to go back to the doctor that you used before?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. That's an idea. The doctor I went to before was in a different state. My GI doctor here says he's not comfortable prescribing Lotronex. He has me on tincture of opium to control the D but even that just doesn't stop me up. Do we know that SOME men are on Lotronex these days regardless?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Houda I'm sorry but as far as I know Lotronex is not available in the UK.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Houda-that's right unfortunately. It is not available in the UK. Depends on how desperate you are to get it but you could get in touch with Prometheus who now supply it (instead of GSK). They will give you details of prescribers in the USA-you would have to go over and get it but first you need to find someone who is willing to prescribe it for you and obviously go back for monitoring or come to some arrangement with them. Theoretically it is possible according to the Prometheus. Their rep told me it has been prescribed for non-USA residents but it won't be easy-I thought about it but haven't followed up on it yet due to the difficulties. You would also have to pay for it and it doesn't come cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.