Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This information comes from Frank Brown, the very knowledgable moderator of the Southern California IBS group, who gets his information directly from Glaxo-Wellcome, (ho may become sponsors of our group), rather than published reports. "Glaxxo's initial testing on men was small and the same dosage as women. The company now believes that men may need a larger dose and are currently doing tests on it. The early results are good." That is why you cannot fly off the handle when a reporter writes something in a paper that he/she gets from different sources.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks for the info persistance, it's nice to know that your looking out for the guys too. If you hear any info about test on men that need test subjects, please post. Thanks agian

G

·
I think independence is important, and a strength of this board is it's non-commercial bias.Glaxo is targetting the big problems of this world and that is good. However many drugs have side effects in some cases quite serious.A natural diet and a balanced mind can be better for some.Does this drug tackle the cause or the smyptoms?Glaxo has seen a major reduction in its market share due to the opening of patents on its ulcer treatments. It needs a silver bullet to boost its revenues.It remains to be proven that this drug will be a silver bullet both for IBS suffers and the company itself.I dont mean to be negative, but if you were a marketing man, what would you do?[This message has been edited by stevel (edited 01-15-2000).]

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Persist, thanks for that info. its good to know
!Steve, it tackles the symptoms and maybe the cause, but they don't yet know what the cause is and are still looking for it.------------------ http://webpotential.com/ericibs/index.htm

G

·
I'm going to an informational meeting next week in Los Angeles for a clinical trial of a new IBS drug. I don't know which drug is being looked at yet, but I'll let everyone know what I find out. Hopefully I qualify as a subject! If anyone else who lives near LA is interested, here's the contact address and phone # :Research Foundation of America1125 S. Beverly Dr., # 611Los Angeles, CA 90035(310) 553-4135(800) 558-8383The possibility that men require larger doses of Lotronex than women is consistent with what is seen with some other drugs; this dosage difference may be due to a larger lean body mass and correspondingly higher resting metabolic rate in men than women. A higher metabolism means higher drug clearance rates, so larger doses are needed to build up therapeutic levels.

G

·
Guy, I for one sure am glad that you are a member of this BB. Thanks for all the info and sharing your knowledge.Jim

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Ditto, Guy
!

·
Registered
69 Posts
As the person who "Persistence" mentioned in her note, let me bring you up to date on Lotronex.At our last meeting, which Persitence missed--shame, shame,--a representative of Glaxxo sat in to listen to the attendees talk about their symptoms and how it affects them. While she could not give out specific information on the drug at the meeting, I can tell you some news:According to the company, the approval application runs out on March 31. That means they expect the drug to be approved by then, but it is possible that the FDA could postpone it. (I think it's unlikely.)Lotronex is expected to be a big money maker for Glaxxo but the company is determined to spend quite a bit on public awareness of this illness. I am working closely with them on this. I can't, at this time, discuss it further.Lotronex will not be for everyone. It is meant for people who have pain and diarrhea. Further studies are going on with the drug, especially those with men. It is believed that a higher dose will be needed for the males, and that's what the testing is about. As we've all learned, there isn't one thing that brings IBS under control. We must each look for those things that work for us individually. There are other drugs for IBS that are currently being tested and expected to be available within one or two years. I beleive the the approval of Lotronex will open the door to quickly get more IBS drugs on the market. One last thing--while I am working with Glaxxo, and they may make a financial grant to our group, we will remain completely independent, and open to discussing all types of treatments whether they be medical, alternative, nutritional, psychological, and the like.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you so much for your input about the meeting, which I shamefully missed, Frank, and for your other information.Anyone who is not in this group and is in the Southern California area, should seriously consider coming to these valuable meetings.P.S. Yak! Frank, you told me nothing much was going to happen for the January meeting!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.