Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
susango,I am sorry to hear about your problems getting Lotronex and I fully understand and sympathize with your reservations about taking part in a clinical trial. Still, I am intrigued by this study. Since the efficacy of this drug has been established and only the safety is in doubt, why would the study be placebo-controlled? There seems to be a good deal of reasonable doubt about whether Lotronex is actually responsible for ischemic colitis, and I have heard of plans to investigate this, and a placebo-controlled study would seem to me as a layperson to be the best way of doing this. Makes you wonder. At any rate, such doubts have been taken seriously by such eminent researchers as Dr. Michael Gershon, and I don't think GSK would undertake such expensive studies unless they had some reasonable basis for questioning the causal relationship between Lotronex and ischemic colitis (if indeed that is what this study is about). There are numerous studies listed on the Centerwatch website for trials on a drug for women with severe IBS-D who have failed conventional therapy, which sounds to me a lot like Lotronex, though it is not mentioned by name. Anyhow, sorry for being so long winded. But if you decide to participate in the study, susan, please do try and find out what the purpose of the study is, if they are willing to reveal it. I'm sure a lot of people here would be interested to know. If not, believe me I understand completely. Best of luck. Any thoughts on this, anyone?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.