Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been taking Lotronex for three months now and it has given me back my life. I hate the thought of going back to how I was. But it also scares me that it could be harming me. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow afternoon to talk to my doctor about it. I have a cousin that also has IBS and her doctor wouldn't even perscribe Lotronex because he said that it causes too many problems. So I'm confused and wondered what everyone was thinking. Thanks for your input! Kimmie

G

·
Hi Kimmie;I've been taking it since May and after the initial C, it's been with good results. I've only had a few mild bouts of D while taking 1/2 tab once a day. For the last couple of weeks I've been taking 1/2 just 3 days a week to see what happens.debbie

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been taking two pills a day. I haven't had any D since I have been taking it and I have had some C but as long as I ate good I didn't have any problems. Did your doctor tell you to only take 1/2 a pill Debbie? I can't wait to talk to my doctor!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I will not stop taking it. I've been on it for 5 months and it has also changed my life. I take one pill a day. When you get C then you should stop for a couple of days. Other than that I feel great.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If I continue on this med as well as I am now, there is NO REASON for me to stop taking it.I REALLY wish that folks would get some perspective on this. The last article I read said over THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND PEOPLE had been prescribed this drug. And how many serious problems? Fewer than 150? Do some comparisons with other drugs. I know someone who had a near fatal reaction to anti-depressants. That doesn't mean it needs to be taken off the market. It means it needs to be managed better. Colleen

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hi, I found-out right away that 1mg. of lotronex was too much for me. In order for me not to get constipated is to only take the next dose of 1/2 tablet after I have had a bm. I always wait until my bm's become soft before I take it again. That works for me. A 30day prescription has lasted me 4 months because I only take it when I need it. I can sometimes go for a few days without it. Lotronex works the same day you don't have to build it up into your system like some people are saying. I really like it. Keep a journal so you can decide what is best for you. We are all different on how it will work for us. I think people have gotten in trouble with this medicine because they have not been cautious with it. I really like it and I keep my doctor informed.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Kimmie:Just from the messages you've gotten so far, if we all blindly took 2 pills a day, there would be people who were really constipated. I guess that means that Lotronex is just like every other medicine -- the decision to use it, how much, and when, must be made between the prescribing physician (preferably a physician experienced in dealing with GI problems) and the patient.I take 2 pills/day and it has made my life a lot less unpleasant.echris (IBS - D, 24 years and counting)

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have been taking lotronex since May (1/2 a pill a day) and it has given me my life back. Since I only take a 1/2 a pill a day my prescription is for 60 pills a month it last a long time. I am going to fill it again so I have some in reserve. I really can't believe they would take it off the market when it has helped so many people (males included). Hopefully it won't happen so we don't have to go back to the way we were.

G

·
Kimmie, I got C right away so I called my GI and he said alot of his patients were taking lower doses, so I started taking the 1/2 every morning and it worked just fine. I didn't see any reason to take anymore than that and like I said before, I just started with the 1/2 3 days a week. I want to take the lowest dosage that works for me. I've even heard of some that take 1/4 of a tab!take care...debbie

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Kimmie! I have been taking Lotronex since March, and like alot of other people that have replied, my life has returned. So, I guess you can say, no I will not stop taking it. I take 1 pill in the morning and 1 pill at night along with 1 Prozac in the morning and I am a totally changed person

·
Registered
176 Posts
Give up Lotronex?? I pray it will never come to the FDA withdrawing it from the market!I've been on it since April with tremendous results. I only take 1/2 pill on a "need" basis, which translates to maybe once a week so I'm certainly on the extremely low end of the dosage scale.I agree that this medication does not need to be "built up" in your system before it works----in my case it is instant acting and I can ALWAYS count on it to normalize my system quickly (even on the low dose that I take).

·
Registered
363 Posts
Like everyone else, it's made my wife's life far more tolerable. Symptoms are the same, excluding explosive "D" that is now mild "C", but they have been reduced by approximately 40%.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Good morning, I have been taking lotronex, 1 pill daily for 4 months. It would be a nightmare to have it taken away. I actually went to restaurant on my birthday and enjoyed it. After 14 years it has been such a relief not to have D every day.Mary Jo

·
Registered
28 Posts
I started taking Lotronex in May. IMMEDIATELY I had extreme C. Also major, major headaches. I cut down the dosage and then in August stopped taking it completely.Prior to taking Lotronex I had always been D; now back and forth between C and D. But at least the headaches have gone away.I won't take it again.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I go to my appointment at 1:10PM. I've been reading all I can find on Lotronex and what people have posted. I think that we aren't hearing enough about those who had problems and I think that doctors are giving it to the wrong people. And that some people aren't being too smart when they do have problems and aren't talk to their doctors soon enough. I haven't been having any problems since I've been on Lotronex..I did have some C at first but as long as I eat good I don't have that problem and I too have been able to go out to eat. I am just wondering now if I could get away with taking less than the two pills a day. To those of you that changed your doseage...did you talk to your doctor first? I really don't want to tell mine because I want to make sure they still perscribe me 60 pills a month...this way it will be cheaper for me. My insurence covers most of it. Oh and I was wondering has anyone have more gas now? I don't get the D but I do get more gas now. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi Kimmie!Good luck with your doctor's visit today and please post back with what was recommended.In answer to your questions:1) Yes, my doctor did agree that I could cut back on the dosage and take it on a "need only" basis. Originally when I first got the prescription in April, my doc recommended starting with one (1) pill daily to see how I would react to it. After some constipation (relieved with Citrucel once a day), I was told to take 1/2 pill a day or every other day. Still some "c" so I was advised to take it only as needed and this dosage has worked like a charm.2) No, I haven't had any gas problems with Lotronex.

G

·
Kimmie;My GI knows that I take a lower dosage, but he still gives me the 60 tablet prescription.He said that alot of his IBS patients take a lower dose, and none have had to stop taking it. Hope it works out for us all.Let us know what he says today!debbie

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi KimmieI keep a log for my Dr. so he can see any changes. We discussed the dosage. For a while I was taking 1 pill one day and 2 pills the next. Now I take just 1 pill each day and do well. Any changes in dosage my Dr. and I discuss. Yes I have had more gas, which is bothersome, but it is still better than D all the time. I believe everyones system is different and it takes time. I was given material with my first RX to read and it said C would occur at first. It is still worth it to me. I will stay on it.Good luck with your appt.Mary Jo

1 - 20 of 41 Posts