Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are any of you taking Lotronex yet? My doctor gave me some sample packs last week. I've taken a couple, but have not started taking it every day. In the past I just carried Bentyl with me and used it at the onset of symptoms. But, from what I'm reading about Lotronex, it is something you just take all of the time. Although it did seem to help just to take it a couple of times when my symptoms flared up. I do not have chronic IBS.I had no idea it was expensive until I read another post here about insurance. So, I thought I would see if anyone really thinks it is that great. Thanks!Connie

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear Connie:I have been taking Lotronex since July 1. I also got alot of free samples from my doctor.I too am not a chronic IBS patient. I have always had diverticulitis and have suffered from tummy aches and those pains in your left side and was even hospitalized last Dec for a diverticulitis infection. I have always relied on Bentyl to help also. But after my hosp. stay it took from Dec toMarch to even alittle feel better. I had alot of IBS symtoms so my doctor felt I wasnow a "combo" patient. I decided to try Lot.since I just couldn't get over this. It tooktaking 1/2 of Lotronex for 4 weeks every dayto feel any relief and some control. I take1/2 of Lotronex in the AM and a Bentyl ifI have cramps or a stomache. In the eveningI take 15 mg. of amitriptyline to controlwhatever it is in our brain that makes ushave that urgency to go all the time. I alsotake 1/2 teaspooon of metamucil after dinner.I am not real consistent in eating 5 veggies per day so this helps with fiber. Plus for mefiber relieves that too full or bloaty feeling. I would not give up on Lotronex. I will have to pay for it also by Sept. 1. And I have not checked to see how much it is. But to me how can I not? I have 3 kids, 13, 9, and 3 and I need to feel better and at41 years old and years of suffering I willpay any price to feel better. So hang inthere.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Hi Connie! I am new to the BB, and have been reading the messages here with great interest. I have had IBS (D type) for about 20 years now. My doctor gave me some samples of Lotronex just last week....I still have mixed feelings about Lotronex tho since I began taking it during a bad attack. For me I almost felt worse cramps after taking the Lotronex, but maybe I just need to give it a while or adjust my dosage (I was taking 1 tablet a day). There seems to be a lot of info on this BB about Lotronex, must of it with good results.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have been on Lotronex for just over a month now. I am taking 2 tablets a day. One in the morning and one at night. I just upped my dosage today because I'm not really getting any relief. Still pain and D. Hope upping it will work. Hubby is on vacation next week and my parents are also taking my 2 kids camping with them starting on Aug 1st and comming back on the 6th. I would really like to enjoy some time alone with him since we never get time to ourselves. Anyway as far as the cost of Lotronex I know that in NH it it $160.00 for 60 tablets. thankfully my insurance pays for it and I only have a ten dollar copay. Otherwise without me working and only on one income I wouldn't be able to get it.Good luck to you and let us know how you are doing.Sandi

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.