Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone here experiencing low back pain with knee/joint pain and sometimes flu-like symptoms achy all over due to IBS, which is still undetected from my end (pun intended). I had a bout with amoeba parasites about 3 years ago, 1998, went undetected for close to a year and got rid of them around May of 1999 been having problems ever since including a bout of sinusitis last year among other things. Has anyone had this kind of experience and can shed some light on my situation. I'm seeing a very good gastro in NY whose done a sigmoidoscopy and will be doing an upper endoscopy soon to do a lot more eliminating of possible conditions. I think because of undue stress and antibiotic use which caused candida albicans flareups on occasion are the culprit, as well. Recently, I've also been alternating between C & D. No fun.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Boy, wish I could help ya, but I don't quite catch the flow of what you are saying. You have NOT been diagnosed with IBS? And the joint paint and flu-like symptoms? I have had sinutsitis (2 surgeries) and joint swelling and pain but I don't think they are related to IBS. Sorry I can't help! Maybe someone else will know what you are talking about, or you can post again with a little more detail.Good Luck!------------------Shared joy is joy doubled....shared sorrow is sorrow halved.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds a little like symptoms of fibromyalgia. You may want to be refered to a good rheumatologist to be checked out. IBS is very common in people with fibromyalgia and as far as I know IBS itself would not bring on the body aches. Good Luck!

·
Registered
306 Posts
rickmal;I'm not a Dr. or medical student, but from what I've seen so far on this board, it does seem like there is a link between this IBS and osteoporosis.I'd try and get a bone density test, and see if the spinal column is getting weak. Ask the Dr. what he recco's to build it up again if it is weak.Most of us have jumped on the Caltrate+Vitamin D supplement.Any signs of depression yet? Trouble sleeping, not wanting to do the things you use to love doing? Avoiding friends, feeling sad?Here to talk if ja need it.HTH - NickT

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've never had joint pain, but I do get lower back pain. I had IBS for years before I realized the pain was caused by gas!Please be sure to mention your aches and pains to your doctor, though. Always want to be on the safe side.Hope you feel better soon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have had aches in my back (lower, and / or between my shoulder blades), along with knee, and hip pain - sometimes severe, for two or three years now - about the time my IBs got bad enough to go for the dx. The dr. pretty much blew me off with this is all part of IBS. I have heard people tell me it could be fibromyalgia, or MS,or being overweight, but haven't had the tests done, yet. I am considering going back to the dr, though, because things seem to be getting worse, nto better. New symptoms include headaches, heart palps after a bad bout of d, severe fatigue (bad enough that I have a difficult time doing anything but sleeping for 2 to 6 hours after a d attack).------------------Bethae3Today is the Tomorrow you worried about - was it worth it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your support with your replies. Sorry my post was a little on the non-linear side. The order of symptoms have been as follows, over many years I've had touches of IBS i.e. lactose intolerance, gas, etc. stopped when I eliminated stress and changed diet. Contracted amoeba parasites over three years ago and was undiagnosed for almost a year and was detected via stool tests. Went through 2 courses of antibiotics as I ingested the pills incorrectly the first time and had to start fresh with a second course which eliminated the parasites. Also, have candida albicans (in remission) due to overuse of antibiotics. Since then have been having on many occasions explosive diarrhea, gastric pains, heartburn and recently for the past couple of months alternating between constipation and diarrhea, needing to have BM's after eating most meals. Also, abodominal pain on the left and sometimes on the right, and recently, low back pain. I've also had panic attacks which started last year noticed this when taking the subway if it happens to stop mid-route I want to jump out of my skin, feel trapped and want to leave. The panic attacks have recently subsided. I have been preoccupied for the past couple of years due to major event/occurence that has depressed me and has had me living in fear, sadness and ultimately depressed over these years. I'm taking steps little by little to figure out what's wrong but it's taking some time to do so. I would like to get out of this and need to find the strength to do so. Thanks again for your support.

·
Registered
306 Posts
"Depression can lead to osteoporosis"Depression & OsteoporosisGerman psychiatrists have found that hormonal changes brought on by depression can reduce the density of bone mass by as much as 15%. In the November 1994issue of the American Journal of Psychiatry, Dr. Ulrich Schwieger and colleaguesreport their study of eighty patients over forty years of age suffering major depression. The physicians measured the density of vertebra in the lower back. Compared with a non-depressed control group, the depressed patients showed significant increases in the level of the hormone cortisol, a condition that can lead to osteoporosis. Schwieger and his team eliminated other variables for the decrease in bone mass and concluded that major depression "is a serious risk factor for osteoporosis." Source:NDMDA Newsletter, Jan 95, App: Seesaw, DMDSG, Bloomington-Normal,IL, Feb 95This might explain why so many of us complain about lower back pain, and why calcium supplementation may be a very good idea!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I get joint pain in my right hip and lower back. Darvocet can't even realive the pain! I am now on Loratab.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts