Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i was diagnosed with IBS i was told it was harmless, only my doctor said my blood count was also low, therefore he is calling me back for more blood tests,on my form it said i was lacking in 3 things, i cant remember the name of one, think it was Folic acid (??) but when i looked this up it said it helps with food absorption, and if there is a lack of it then im not getting as much as i should out of food, even though i eat as healthy or healthier than my family i am always suffering with chronic fatigue, is this linked with the IBS, i thought IBS couldnt affect me? The other week I couldnt even get half the distance i usually get when i run, had to walk back was absolutely knackered, anyone have an experience with this???Thanks

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
IBS doesn't cause the low blood counts or nutritional deficiencies.It may be an indication you should be tested for celiac, or other things that do cause problems like this.You may also want to run your usual diet through something like www.fitday.com to see if you even eat enough folate on a regular basis. If you don't consume enough you will be low no matter what your GI illness status is. Even if you think you eat healthy you might not be getting all you need of all nutrients. I mean I eat a pretty healthy diet and the analysis from the fitday site says I am only eating 75% of the folate I should be over the last month. I do take some supplements that can up that, so I probably get enough, but diet alone ain't doing it for me.The low blood counts are probably the source of your fatigue and your not running as far. That is classic symptoms of anemia (low blood count). I had excessive bleeding from a fibroid in my uterus and low blood counts made me totally exhausted and unable to do much if any running/walking at all.Now it may be you don't eat enough of the right nutrients, it may be your period if you are a woman is heavy enough you need more of those than most people, or it may be an indication that you should be tested for celiac or other GI issues that can look alot like IBS symptomwise but can actually in fact cause these sorts of nutritional issues.K.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.