Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was eating low carb for a few months and my indigestion and gas seemed to subside considerably. Over the last week or so I went nuts (Halloween Party) and went carb and coffee crazy. Now I am having the constant upset stomach/burning sensation and rubbling in my stomach along with belching - that I used to have a few months ago.I know that everyone is different but this is something I noticed before when I went low carb for about a year. No symptoms at all.Just thought I would pass this on. We will see.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Some people report this.When you think about it, it may make sense for some people.Carbs (the parts of the carbs you don't digest and absorb like the resistant starch part of wheat, for example) are what feed the bacteria in the colon that make most of the gas in the colon.If you stop putting fuel in your car it stops running. Same sort of thing.Some people can get the same sort of result from probiotic bacteria. They eat the same carbs, but have a different metabolism so they don't turn the carbs into gases.K.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'm one of those who can eat carbs without much trouble, although I stick to healthy ones, like whole grain bread and pasta. As long as I take Culturelle (a probiotic), I do fine.I'm wondering whether it's just the carbs that are causing the discomfort, or whether the coffee is part of the problem. A month or so ago, I was diagnosed with acid reflux and I know that in my case tea and coffee were the biggest offenders. And stomach rumbling and gas may mean that too much coffee isn't doing your stomach any good either. Just a thought. Hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh I know coffee isn't doing me any good. Pretty sure it is the main culprit because by the time I get home in the late afternoon my stomach is not bothering me at all. Though I still have gas moving and coming out.As far as feeling better...I don't worry about it so much since I went to a GI and felt confident in the diagnosis. I am lucky in that I just have discomfort and rarely get the D attacks I have read so much on.Flavinoid suppliments have helped dramatically as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.