Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So- if you use low carb- then you tend to get constipation- I have really bad gas- tried probiotics- beano- fennel tea- take simethicone after meals- it seems that it is endless= My husband is a Dr. and he thinks it is nerves- I dont' buy that.Need help- I am losing weight just trying to cut out everthing- one thing I wondered- Is raw salads a no no.thanks for your help.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Usually lo-carb is better for gas as most of the foods that you eat that are converted to gas are missing from the diet.They can be constipating. That is why many of them recommend fiber supplements when on the lowest carb couple of weeks (you don't stay very low carb long on most of them)There is no magic to lo-carb diets. You can lose weight eating ANY food on the planet. You just have to control portions.My Families Diet. Which is what I recommend for anyone who has found a diet that works for them digestively but wants to lose weight. EAT THE EXACT FOODS YOU EAT NOW. Don't cut anything out, don't change which foods you eat. Put 2/3 of the amount you usually eat on your plate at every meal and every snack (no eating out of the original container of anything), every drink that has calories in it (so if you put 3 sugars in your coffee, put 2 in it, but the coffee amount has no calories so that is OK). When you finish your reduced portions STOP EATING.My Dad invented it. It can take a couple of weeks to get used to the smaller portions, but your stomach "shrinks" after awhile and you find you can't eat the size portions you used to, which helps reinforce the diet. If you are really hungry drop down the portion sizes in stages until you get to a portion size that allows you to drop about a pound a week. The good news is you don't have to give anything up and you can easily do it for life, you eventually find the portion sizes of your diet that maintain your ideal weight.K.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hello pieta63
I have tried low carb diets & I did lose weight but it really didn't help much with gas (I get gas just from breathing) I have IBS-C (constipated) so my digestive system is different. BUT it may work for you!!
You are very lucky to be married to a doctor! Maybe he is right, it may be your nerves that has your intestines all in a rumble... stress can cause all sorts of digestive troubles. Maybe you could get a prescription for a mild nerve pill???? Keep us posted on how you are doing!

·
Registered
187 Posts
P.S. a good rule to go by is any foods with a high fiber content is more likely to cause gas. But, if you dont eat fiber you will be constipated... so it is a vicious cycle that never ends!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.