Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've found websites that tell me that low dose antidepressants are beneficial for IBS-D. It seems that 'low dose' is 10mg on tricyclics. But I'm now on 30mg and it still doesn't control my diarrhoea when I get bad 'flare up'. 75mg is the dose for those with depression and I don't want to take that much as I'm not depressed! Does anyone have any further info on this? Anyone found tricyclic antidepressants help with the diarrhoea?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Usually low dose for tricyclics is from 75 mgs or lower.Most of the depression doses start at 75 mgs but most people need more like 100-150. They start at 75 then work up to the dose that works for the depression but they usually have to start lower and build rather than start at the usual working dose.If the one you are on isn't working it may be worth discussing trying a different one. Sometimes one will work better than another for any given person.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanjks Kathleen, has put my mind at rest. I didn't want to be taking the same dose as that for depression. It just seems that people on this forum have mainly taken 10-20mg and I was started off on 5mg of Amitryptaline which really didn't work. Am now on imipramine which seems to help 'bulking' up the stools but doesn't help with the urgency and frequency. I also take loperamide. Dr tried to get me to stop using loperamide (perhaps as it doesn't work after a while am not sure?) but I can't cope without it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.