Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
everyone is different and reacts differently to different types of magnesium supplements. For me, 250 mg is way too low, for others, it may work. You will know by adjusting your dosage, starting small and working up. I personally welcome diarrhea from my mag doses, but that's just me. Drink lots of water throughout the day and evening tho, for mag to work. Some people get cramps, others don't. It's trial and error.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.. how long does it take to work? will it produce multiple trips to the bathroom?also.... will it mess up my colon like regualr laxatives would? Basically is it addicting or safe to take?

·
Registered
840 Posts
I take about that much everyday, 250mg with great sucess. I split a 425 mg in half, 425mg was giving me heartburn but i seem to be doing fine with the lower dose. I really see a difference if i forget to take the mag. I don't know if it would cause you to have diarrhea, you would have to try and see. It won't mess up you colon at all, my gastro doctor says mag is perfectly safe to take everyday and non-addicting.

·
Registered
830 Posts
it really depends on how you react to mag. everyone is different. i take up to 1000mg per day, depending, sometimes only 800 and sometimes half that. i do not get cramping from it but i do experience D sometimes which IS FINE BY ME and i can go about 5 to 7 times in the morning, depending. I mix mag brands, taking a special combo with my first meal of the day and pure mag oxide at night. My doctor also recommended i continue with magnesium as fiber supps can cause me more pain than good. I do eat a high food fiber diet tho.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I was taking 1 tablespoon of MOMs and then decided to up it to 2 TBS and then I was going several times within hours and cramped up. I am now back to taking only 1 tablespoon and no running to the restroom often and no cramps. I only take it the days I work and give my stomach a rest on the weekends. I hope you find what works best for you.--IBSsuffer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.