Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know whether purposefully following a diet low in fibre helps with IBS-D? (it makes intuitive sense in that the more stuff passing through means more stuff coming out – also I have heard that high fibre leads to faster passage times)

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Depends on the person.Some people find they need more fiber to absorb some of the water and bulk up the stools.Other people find fiber tends to make the diarrhea worse.Depends on how it effects you and how it all balances out. So I can't predict if you'd do better on a low residue diet or on a higher fiber diet. Some people with IBS-D find limiting starches (a low carb diet) helps with the diarrhea and that may be about starch rather than the fiber. You can limit fiber but have lots of starch and that may not be the best for some people. Other people find the higher fat content of most low carb diets makes them worse.So it all depends on how your system reacts to various things and fiber may not be the biggest determinate for some people.

·
Registered
311 Posts
just because fiber bulks up the feces, doesn't mean it's fixing anything..........the problem still lies in the fact that the intestinal walls r not letting enough liquid escape from the chime as it goes thru.........this also stops the nutrients from being absorbed into the system & if this is what's happening, then why eat a healthy diet??..........it leads to malnutrition..........& this is a very slow way to die.........been there, done that.......fiber also scrapes & scars the very delicate tissues in there........fiber is insoluble, meaning our bodies can't break it down........scaring can do alot of damage & may take yrs to eventually effect ur life in a very bad way.........fiber also absorbs the nutrients u r trying to absorb & drags them out to make the toilet really healthy.......just cause it bulks up, doesn't make it the best way to go.........get to the root cause........everyone out there, READ: THE BOOK FIBER MENACE & CHECK OUT THE WEBSITE BY THE SAME NAME...........it helped me so much.......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have just calculated my fibre intake from food an it is 50 grams per day (not including the metamucil that I take each night). Is this too much? Could this be causing the IBS?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Probably wouldn't cause someone to have IBS if they never had it before, but it is enough that some people may be uncomfortable even if they don't have IBS and depending on how you deal with fiber it could be making IBS worse. You could try dropping it down a few grams at a time to see if there is a level that works for you. Some IBSers do well on a high fiber diet and 50 grams a day is a very high fiber diet. I certainly wouldn't add more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts