Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am a new registered user, who has been recently diagnosed with IBS. I am D-type, and have no abdominal pain or bloating.What I do have is severe lower back spasm and pain with weakness in my left leg and sciatica. Have any of you ever experienced this, or does it sound like something other than IBS? Thanks so much for your help!! Emdria

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Hi emdria, and welcome to the Board. I am IBS C&D, and also have lower back muscle spasms at time, but most of it is due to an old muscle tear injury. So I can't really say.I know a lot of people here have said they have back problems and feel that it is connected. But I don't think the weakness in your left leg and sciatica is caused by IBS. I'm not a doctor, though, so maybe someone else has more info.JeanG

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there emdria, and welcome to the board!
Just wanted to say I am a C-type, and sometimes when I get the pain low on the left that so many of us talk about, I also experience back pain, and weakness and pain in my left leg ... it's a mystery to me, but I've always aassumed it must be due to a pinched nerve caused by the C!Julie

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have had terrible lower back problems on a regular basis with sciatic becoming a constant problem.I am currently looking at magnesium which apparently helps muscle function. Have been drinking Evian water for two weeks with great results with the bloating problem. I will be interested to see if it has any effect on the sciatica.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Emdria ... Has your Dr. checked out your spine (lumbar region) for disc problems? Sounds to me like the symptoms I had with a herniated disc. Is the pain constant or does it come and go? What relieves it? I'm not sure how old you are but some people get back problems (and sciatica) as they get older and this is due to disc degeneration (wear and tear).Hope this helpsRoz

·
Registered
613 Posts
I had lower back pain with pain down left leg. Doctor sent me to physio but did no good at all. Tried exerises, did nothing. Tried not lifting anything or vacuuming, etc. and all I got was a dirty house. Pain spread to my shoulder, then my other shoulder..hip... Anyway, Gatorade, a glass in the morning and a glass at night, seems to relieve the pain a lot - for two weeks anyway. I am so happy!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Yo!Welcome I am D type and have big lower back and hip problems but the two are unrelated.Did the back in with a game of bourbon induced rugby!!!
Never been the same since.Also got hit by a speed boat and dislocated my hip as well as run over by a van which all added to the problem.Did I mention that luck was never on my side.At least I have no gastrointestinal problems. Oh no wait... got that too!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I too have lower back pain when I sleep. I also have loss of feeling in my big toes. I am on my feet most of the day. One doctor has suggested that I take Vitamin B supplements. That seems to help along with periodic chiropratic adjustments.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I have lower back pain and sciatica, but have always had it so mne has nothing to do with IBS. I go to a chiropractor for relief. When I was late into my pregnancy, I had sciatic so bad that I had to start maternity leave about a month before I was scheduled to. My big fat baby was positioned on the nerve and the little bugger wouldn't shift. 18 years later and he's still positioned on my nerves and won't shift

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Emdria,I also had back pain, left leg weakness and sciatic pain, however, mine was due to a herniated disc. You should get it checked out by a doctor to be sure. Mine didn't respond to anything, not time, not physical therapy.... I lived on pain pills for 6 months before they finally did surgery on it! Just in that six months, I lost considerable muscle in my left leg, so it's not something that you want to ignore. The good news is that today I am back to normal - or at least as close as I get!
I know that IBS can cause back pain, but if you are consistently uncomfortable with leg weakness (sign of a pinched nerve) and sciatica, you should see the doctor to be sure.Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.Vicky

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Count me in too,extreme lower back pain,sometimes into the shoulder blades,and bad sciatica in the .....yes left leg,I also have two vertebras sitting on top of each other whaich don't help,i see a chiro. but its still bad. Be well Krissy
PS- that lower back pain is so bad at night,sometimes i can't roll over.Ice helps alot! especially for the leg pain.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts