Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sure i have IBS, but i was never officall diagnosed with it yet. well, my mother told me that i can eathier have a upper or a lower gi done. which one do you think will be more successful in diagnosing my ibs?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
IBS is a diagnosis made after everything else has been ruled out. The symptoms of IBS can mimic those of other digestive disorders, which is why it is important to have tests done to be sure there isn't something more serious wrong with you. If your main complaints are in your lower bowel then perhaps all the colon tests should be done. If you have a lot of upper GI symptoms (like I did) then you should probably have an upper GI series or endoscopy done, depending on the symptoms. You should also have blood and stool samples taken to test for parasites, blood in the stool, etc.. I lost so much weight they even tested and ruled out colon cancer and AIDS, (as silly as that seems). Even after all the testing it took another 5 years for a nurse practioner to suspect, test for, and treat an infection of H. Pylori. Being treated for that had no effect on the IBS but it did greatly reduce my chronic gastritis.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Christiana, talking to your doctor about all this may help to calm fears and things, its important to be diagnosed howoever and they are some tests they do, most are not to bad, usally the fear and prep is worse then the test. Some are uncomfortable, most don't cause really bad pain and they use pain meds if they need to. The tests and medical history is very important.This is also some questions you may want to take with you when you talk to the doctor. http://www.AboutDigestion.com/script/main/...rticlekey=13683

·
Registered
369 Posts
HI Christiana,Don't be scared- as natural as that is before something unknown. I think most of us here have been through ALL the tests and while they aren't what I would call pleasant, they aren't horrible either. The worst is actually beforehand when you are getting all psyched up and nervous about the whole thing.I want to ask though- whyt is your mom asking you to choose your own test rather than defer to what the doctor thinks is best? What if he wants to do both to rule out (or in) everything that could possibly be found? I had both done one after the other, under sedation- and that way I knew it was ALL over. No more tests- all done in one fell swoop.Keeping you in my prayers,Lisa from Nevada

1 - 4 of 4 Posts