Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I haven't been here in awhile, but wanted to ask a question. Before I get to the question let me give you some back ground information. Three years ago I started getting my lower right abdominal pain, I like many on here panicked thinking it was my appendix. So off to the ER I went. They said I was fine and sent me home to follow up with my physician. Well after a colonoscopy, sonogram and ct scan with contrast I was told I have IBS. A few times after getting this DX I kept running back to my dr EVERY time this pain hit. (had a family member with appendicitis that didn't end well and this is where my SEVERE anxiety over this problem started, I was like 10) He told me that it was NOT appendicitis and that I would KNOW if it were. He told me how to push on my stomache and two other tests, stand on your tippie toes and come down hard on your heels if your not screaming in pain its not you appenix, also to bend my leg like a flamingo.....if i can do this then Im fine.My question is does everyone who has had this pain for a certain amount of time run to the Drs everytime this pain comes back? I swear if I ran to the Dr everytime this pain hit I would LIVE there and he would eventually fire me as a patient. I see my Dr quite alot due to my Fibromyalgia
I sometimes think my fibro is messing with me in that particular spot too.In so many of the old posts I keep running across people being told to go to the drs asap, for the same pain that they have had in the past. With anxiety disorder, IBS AND my Fibro I can never tell what pain is cause for concern and which are not. Im in pain 24/7 from head to toe so its really hard to tell. This bout of my IBS lrq pain is in week 3 now.Thanks for allowing me to ramble.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
My view is that once you have had the pain checked out and you've had it long enough to know what the normal range for it is. You don't have to go to the doctor every day three times a day to get it checked and rechecked and rechecked again. (because with my IBS it would have been several times a day every single day if I went to the doctor every single time I had a pain)However, if the pain changes. It is more intense (usually don't worry about less intense), in a new location or at a new frequency you don't want to completely ignore it assuming it is something you already had diagnosed. Doesn't matter if you've had it every single day, or it'll be bad for a few weeks then go away for awhile. As long as it comes back like it was before I don't think it needs another doctor's visit (unless you really need to make sure he pays off his boat quickly.
)The other thing is if the pain comes back but is associated with a new symptom. Now sometimes I will tell someone with the same pain for years that never saw the doctor about it that they do need to go get checked even if it hasn't killed you by now. Also sometimes people complain of pain that is from a non-IBS syndrome (like fibromyalgia) that they assume is just the IBS and they should get that checked out as a separate thing. Mostly because it may need treatments other than what they give for your IBS.It is a hard line. When do you accept that is part of your disorder, and when do you know it is something that needs to be checked out. It would be great if people could only have one disorder at a time. That way you couldn't ever get anything new. But that isn't how our bodies work. So you have to balance out what is expected for your diagnosis and what may indicate something else is going on and know what your normal range of symptoms are so you can get seen when you really need to for new things.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,I'm new to this site and have seen many comments about the pain people with IBS suffer and I'd be glad of some advice. I've had the cramps and the D &c C and mostly it's been way down in the abdomen. Now, it seems to have changed and I seem to have an aching pain in my right side, just around the waist area, that radiates into my back. Sometimes it's in both sides. It feels as if gas is trapped and my colon is hurting where it turns across the abdomen. My doctor is convinced it is the IBS playing up again, as I have many other symptoms after I eat, such as incredible wind noises and rumblings, all of which result in tis pain coming on an staying round all day.I've seen lots about left side pain and trapped gas around the splenic flexure but not much about similar problems on the right. Can anyone off an opinion or experience of this sort of thing, please?I take peppermint oil capsules and mebeverine but they seem not to help much and, after a month of this, I'm worried. Incidentally, I had clear upper endoscopy and coonoscopy four and a half years ago.Grateful for anyhelp or advice.ThanksMartin

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
With IBS pain can kinda be anywhere along the colon.. and since the colon runs around the entire abdomen.... feeling it on the right side, left side, across the top etc>>>> still fits with IBS.Have you tried Peppermint oil tablets and Antispasmodics you could try using a simethicone product (Like Gas X here in the US or Windeze in the UK) with your meals. Sometimes I find those work much better when they are co-located with the food.All the best

1 - 4 of 4 Posts