Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having this sensation for about 1 Month Nowis just making me completely miserable. I'mcurrently taking prilosec 2x a Day & Xanaxfor anxiety/spasms. With little help. If anyone has had this sensation before, Any drugs that were helpful or how long the symptons lasted would be greatly appreciated.Thanks ALL!!

G

·
David,Have you seen an ENT Dr yet??? I, along with others have the same thing. For me they said it was globus but then the ENT said I had scraped my throat on food or something to boot. The bad news is that globus can last for up to 2 years!!! Ughhh or should I say gag??? The good news is that it affects 90% of the population at one time and is rarely anything "bad" Where is this article from Karly??Deb------------------Keep moving forward...even if you must crawl.

G

·
Hi DavidThis sensation has been one of the most miserable things I've experienced with IBS --- I've had thyroid tests, barium swallow and sonar, all came up with a big fat blank. I've not had any meds for the problem but find not drinking tea/coffee helps a bit. Maybe you could cut them out too and see if you get a little relief.roz

G

·
I had this too. Doc said globulus something. Meaning there's nothing there physically, but it feel like there is. This can be caused by anxiety. I'm feeling better with the anxiety attack and have noticed that the lump sensation has gone away. (I had lots of symptoms of anxieyt/depression) Homemom

G

·
When I had my first very bad case of IBS symptoms, I felt like I couldn't swallow anything but liquids. It was due to anxiety and no physical cause could be found. I developed a phobia about food and eating since I connected any type of food with feeling sick and having painful gut spasms and D. I still deal with the phobia when I get flare ups, but the lump is gone. I can swallow, I just don't find I have any appetite even when my stomach is growling and cramping from no food. I'm starting to see a therapist about this and hopefully will be able to get over my fear. The good news is that the lump sensation went away over time. Now I just have anxiety.

·
Registered
546 Posts
i have had this also, from time to time. several years ago i think i had that barium thing, xrays etc, and there was no obstruction, nothing wrong.i think i get it once in a while from stress, for whatever reason. if i try paying no attention to it, it goes away eventually. sometimes i think my posture while sitting here at work doesnt help. my shoulders tend to get above my ears here - more stress! i think my neck gets bunched up from that.thats me, anyway. did you say your thyroid was checked? i had a hyperactive thyroid as a child, and i remember having that lump in the throat sensation. (that time it just happened to really be a lump!)take care -jen

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
HI DAVE:Asuming you have been eveluated by your doc as to the need for an ENT exam or not, assuming the physical findings are NIL the "lump in the throat" sensation is very commonly associated as one of the symptoms of anxiety (and even as a precursor to "panic" epidsodes). And the worse the anxity the tighter the throat feels...sort of comes from the increased "tone" in the pharygeal and even laryngeal smotth muscle as a result of the neurotransmitters associated with "fear and anxiety response". So based on your description, and the fact you clearly have been diagnosed with anxiety (you are on Xanax), I wonder if you are taking Xanax only episodically? If so, maybe the doc would allow you to take a maintenance dose...starting low like the .25's every 6 or eight hours. This is just as I said an educated guess assuming all the upper airway is pathology-free, but I know many patients whose "lump" went away with a maintenance dose of Xanax.Also, the pharmacotherapy is symptomatic treatment...one needs to be on a program of anxiety managment and reduction. (2) things to evaluate are Dr. Weinstocks Program of IBS specific anxiety management on CD (www.ibstherapy.com) or check ERICS website, (www.ibshealth.com) where he offers IBS specific hypnotherapy tapes.Check these options out and consider investing in one. Both methods are effective if you use them!Hope you feel better, chum.and have a DFHMNL__________________ www.leapallergy.com [This message has been edited by Mike NoLomotil (edited 12-22-2000).]

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for your suggestions/comments. The tests I've had thus far include a esophogram and a type of Endoscope test thatmy ENT did to check out my throat/vocal cords. She did comment that there was alot ofirritation which appeared like it was from Acid Reflux. Having heard that is when I visiting a GI Doc who gave me the Meds( Prilosec & Xanax. He believes I have some type of spasm in my throat/neck which is causing the problems. This is soooooo Frustrating. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Mike,Yes I did read your comments & at this time I'm taking Xanax .25 per day. MyDoc has me breaking it in half as needed up to 3x per day. Today has been a very bad day. The choking sensation definitely put me a panic mode. It is without a doubt the most intense feeling I've ever experienced. At this point, I plan on increasing the xanax to 3/4x a day & see how I start feeling. In addition to the choking sensation, after a meal I'm extremely nauseus and constantly gagging which is No joy either. I'll check out the web sites you suggested and Hope. Please feel free to offer any other suggestions..It really helps alot!!!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Just wanted to chime in and say that with a thyroid disorder the thyroid gland enlarges (the thyroid is butterfly shaped, located just below the adams apple and wraps around the front of your neck). With some thyroid disorders you can have a single or multiple nodules, which may feel like a lump in your throat.Just FYI...a blood test checks for thyroid disorders.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
David,That is an extremely low dosage of Xanax. My GP had me on a similar low dose. When I finally went to a GI, he told me that it was a rediculously low amount, and upped it to .25, 3-4 times a day. Talk to your Dr. about the appropriate dosage.I sometimes have a lump in my throat as you describe. My Dr. said it was post-nasal drip. Do you have any allergies that could cause this?AZ

G

·
It's not exactly a lump in my throat, but I find that if I'm really being food avoidant over the course of several days to a week, I get a very dry mouth, even though I'm taking in a lot of water. It's probably anxiety related, but it makes swallowing food harder and makes choking more frequent. I'm not sure exactly what to do about that though.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
HI DAVE....I gotta run...somehow I managed once again to not have all my holiday shopping done yet so time is running out...but I agree that the doseage is real low for your symptoms.Did you mean to say you are taking 1/2 of a .25 three times a day? If that is the case a whole one 3 times a day is even a low dose.Talk to the doc about upping the dose until you norice your feelings of panic subsiding when in those situations. But alwys talk to the doc when changing doses so he can monitor you with the other meds.I hope the holiday goes easy on you.MNL_____________ www.leapallergy.com

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Mike and Eric, In regards to your questions: Yes..I'm taking 1/2 of .25 3xa day..I take them 10-15 minutes B4 meals or if I wake up at night and feel it, I'll take another one. Yes my Doc. did mention Glubus sensation, but I also have/had alot of Reflux symtoms as well, and I think this what made him to treat the problem both ways. His other theory is that I have some type of spasm that is causing the problems. At this point, I'm completely open to trying anything..I seem to handle liquids and softfoods better..Could anyone suggest and drinksthat will give me a good caloric count???I've heard about Ensure or Boost, Are theseO.K.?? Thanks.

G

·
Besides a panic and anxiety reaction, you can also get a feeling of lump in the throat or tightening of throat from GERD (acid reflux) Read up on some of the signs and side effect of GERD.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts