Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Friday I had this "weird" feeling in my chest. The best way I can describe it is that it felt like tightening around my esophagus or diaphram. I took several kinds of antacids with no avail. Sunday it seemed to have gone away, however, now I have this constant feeling of a lump in my throat. No matter how many times I swallow or eat/drink something it doesn't go away. I had this somewhat Friday too, but was not bothered by it because of the concern I had for the pain in my chest. Does anyone have this and if so what is it? How can I get rid of this feeling?Thank youSincerely,Amber

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Amber, it may possibly be Globus? http://gastroresource.com/GITextbook/En/chapter1/1-2.htm Also you should be checked out by a doctor on all this, but the chest pains can also be related to IBS in non cardiac chest pains. However, seeing a dooctor to make sure is very important.IBS can effect anywhere in the digestive tract really from your mouth to your anus.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Amber, it may possibly be Globus? http://gastroresource.com/GITextbook/En/chapter1/1-2.htm Also you should be checked out by a doctor on all this, but the chest pains can also be related to IBS in non cardiac chest pains. However, seeing a dooctor to make sure is very important.IBS can effect anywhere in the digestive tract really from your mouth to your anus.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
AmberI've never had the chest pains like that, although I have had them reated to a pulled muscle in my chest wall which made it painful to breathe. I did get it checkd by my doctor though since you shouldn't mess around with chest pains (you should see how fast they got me in that day!!).About the lump in the throat, I have had that. It was weird in that there was defineitly the feeling of a lump but I had no trouble swallowing. I read up on it and concluded that I had globus which is stress related - this made sense to me since I was under stress when it started and only go worse when I started stressing about the lump in my throat!! Since it went away after I figured out what was probably going on (and therefore and less stress), i didn't see a doctor about that. But if you are having trouble with swallowing, this could be something more serious.nancy

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
AmberI've never had the chest pains like that, although I have had them reated to a pulled muscle in my chest wall which made it painful to breathe. I did get it checkd by my doctor though since you shouldn't mess around with chest pains (you should see how fast they got me in that day!!).About the lump in the throat, I have had that. It was weird in that there was defineitly the feeling of a lump but I had no trouble swallowing. I read up on it and concluded that I had globus which is stress related - this made sense to me since I was under stress when it started and only go worse when I started stressing about the lump in my throat!! Since it went away after I figured out what was probably going on (and therefore and less stress), i didn't see a doctor about that. But if you are having trouble with swallowing, this could be something more serious.nancy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you so much for your responses! I saw my dr. yesterday and he didn't know what to think. He told me to try Zantac or Pepcid and we would see how I was doing in 3 weeks. I have had my thyroid tested numerous times because it is quite enlarged. He said the lump I'm feeling may be related to that. Blood tests and scans have all been normal, but he said blood tests aren't 100%. There is also a lump on my collarbone which he said was an enlarged lymph node. I'm thinking about seeing my internist for these new symptoms. Again thank you for your responding.Sincerely,AmberH

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you so much for your responses! I saw my dr. yesterday and he didn't know what to think. He told me to try Zantac or Pepcid and we would see how I was doing in 3 weeks. I have had my thyroid tested numerous times because it is quite enlarged. He said the lump I'm feeling may be related to that. Blood tests and scans have all been normal, but he said blood tests aren't 100%. There is also a lump on my collarbone which he said was an enlarged lymph node. I'm thinking about seeing my internist for these new symptoms. Again thank you for your responding.Sincerely,AmberH

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Amber, I'm curious as to why your doc (having noted your enlarged thyroid) has not pursued the cause of this any further? Have you had a thyroid ultrasound done? Generally speaking, thyroid glands do not enlarge if they are healthy and have no problems. I hope you get some solid answers from your internist. Noting an obvious problem then doing nothing to find the cause is inexcusable for a doctor. If your internist is stumped, then request a referral to an Endocrinologist. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Amber, I'm curious as to why your doc (having noted your enlarged thyroid) has not pursued the cause of this any further? Have you had a thyroid ultrasound done? Generally speaking, thyroid glands do not enlarge if they are healthy and have no problems. I hope you get some solid answers from your internist. Noting an obvious problem then doing nothing to find the cause is inexcusable for a doctor. If your internist is stumped, then request a referral to an Endocrinologist. Good luck to you!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.