Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,Does anyone constantly feel like there is a lump or something perhaps lodged in the throat (right where you swallow)? There is nothing there and I've had a scope that also shows everything is normal. Does anyone know what causes this and how or if it is possible to make it GO AWAY!!By the way, just in case they are related, I also have chronic chest pain right where my heart is (sometimes it radiates down my left arm). It's non-cardiac. Very strange.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Does this sound like it? http://www.merck.com/pubs/mmanual/section3/chapter21/21e.htm Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much to do to make it go away at this time.K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Does this sound like it? http://www.merck.com/pubs/mmanual/section3/chapter21/21e.htm Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much to do to make it go away at this time.K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I get the same sort of thing when I'm worried, mine feels alot like a tightness in the throut, just as if you've been crying for awhile. I used to get it all the time before going on rollercoasters and planes. The only thing I've found that stop it is to find something to take your mind off it. Either watching TV or listening to music.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I get the same sort of thing when I'm worried, mine feels alot like a tightness in the throut, just as if you've been crying for awhile. I used to get it all the time before going on rollercoasters and planes. The only thing I've found that stop it is to find something to take your mind off it. Either watching TV or listening to music.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Well I know it can be from 2 reasons, but I'm sure there are more. One is anxiety. The other is heartburn. ------------------susanIBS D/C type & M.E/CFS

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Well I know it can be from 2 reasons, but I'm sure there are more. One is anxiety. The other is heartburn. ------------------susanIBS D/C type & M.E/CFS

·
Registered
59 Posts
Definitely had for years general tight feelings in the throat, though infrequently. Never associated it with the rest of the gut being affected but it was probably the start of things to come. It's about the only symptom I've ever experienced I can identify without a shadow of a doubt as being directly related to feelings of anxiety. Yours is probably a more specific or 'developed' condition. What works for me is to breathe out hard lots of times - I think it is connected to hyperventilation in me. I wish I could control all my symptoms that easily!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Definitely had for years general tight feelings in the throat, though infrequently. Never associated it with the rest of the gut being affected but it was probably the start of things to come. It's about the only symptom I've ever experienced I can identify without a shadow of a doubt as being directly related to feelings of anxiety. Yours is probably a more specific or 'developed' condition. What works for me is to breathe out hard lots of times - I think it is connected to hyperventilation in me. I wish I could control all my symptoms that easily!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I got that after pesticide posioning, had the barium swallow, nothing showed up. 2 months later got teribly sick with what was later diagnosised as IBS. Throat lump sensation is gone however.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I got that after pesticide posioning, had the barium swallow, nothing showed up. 2 months later got teribly sick with what was later diagnosised as IBS. Throat lump sensation is gone however.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I had that several years ago (the feeling of something in my throat} the doctor told me it was nerves and stress. I think he gave me some nerve pills. Anyway, eventually it just went away. I'm pretty highstrung and worry too much, maybe you are too. Hope it goes away soon.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I had that several years ago (the feeling of something in my throat} the doctor told me it was nerves and stress. I think he gave me some nerve pills. Anyway, eventually it just went away. I'm pretty highstrung and worry too much, maybe you are too. Hope it goes away soon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I don't think it's GERD (I hope), since I recently had a scope and it proved that there was no acid damage after months of SEVERE burning in the throat and chest.I am definitely willing to believe it's anxiety or stress, as I have a few 'bad' things going on in my life at present. Stress and IBS will kill you. Sheesh.Thanks to all of your replies and for the direct link, kmottus. Yes, that link pretty much sums up my symptoms.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I don't think it's GERD (I hope), since I recently had a scope and it proved that there was no acid damage after months of SEVERE burning in the throat and chest.I am definitely willing to believe it's anxiety or stress, as I have a few 'bad' things going on in my life at present. Stress and IBS will kill you. Sheesh.Thanks to all of your replies and for the direct link, kmottus. Yes, that link pretty much sums up my symptoms.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I know that an ectopic heartbeat can sometimes create a sensation of a lump in the throat. I get that.An ectopic heartbeat is either a skipped heartbeat or an extra heartbeat. It is not serious unless you experience more than 6-8 ectopic heartbeats in one minute. (In which case you hie yourself to the doctor and STAT!)My doctor says to drink lots of water, avoid chocolate, ephedrine/pseudo-ephedrine, oranges and orange juice, find ways to se-stress and to avoid strenuous exercise when it happens to make it go away.Other than that, there isn't much you can do.HTHRhetanaIBS-D

·
Registered
409 Posts
I know that an ectopic heartbeat can sometimes create a sensation of a lump in the throat. I get that.An ectopic heartbeat is either a skipped heartbeat or an extra heartbeat. It is not serious unless you experience more than 6-8 ectopic heartbeats in one minute. (In which case you hie yourself to the doctor and STAT!)My doctor says to drink lots of water, avoid chocolate, ephedrine/pseudo-ephedrine, oranges and orange juice, find ways to se-stress and to avoid strenuous exercise when it happens to make it go away.Other than that, there isn't much you can do.HTHRhetanaIBS-D

·
Registered
338 Posts
TMJ is another disorder cause by grinding or clenching your teeth especially at nite that also can cause that feeling of having a lump in throat. I have TMJ, it got really bad from stress from my surgery and I had to have a mouthguard made to help me with clenching at night, where I would clench I would cause muscle spasms in my throat, my muscle in the neck area would feel tired and be sore too, there are other symptoms as well. I agree with all the other post, anxiety and acid reflux can cause it too.

·
Registered
338 Posts
TMJ is another disorder cause by grinding or clenching your teeth especially at nite that also can cause that feeling of having a lump in throat. I have TMJ, it got really bad from stress from my surgery and I had to have a mouthguard made to help me with clenching at night, where I would clench I would cause muscle spasms in my throat, my muscle in the neck area would feel tired and be sore too, there are other symptoms as well. I agree with all the other post, anxiety and acid reflux can cause it too.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hi CarolynI have the same feelings too. Now it's more rare but when my IBS started to appear that lump in the throat was one of the worst symptoms.As for the chest and left arm pain I have it sometimes and I already thought it wAS some heart problem but I don't think so. I think it's when gas is accumulated in my intestines, under my heart.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts