Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
What dose did you doc say was OK to take daily. I also have been taking it daily for years but have to take extremely high doses 3x per day.The easiest are the chewable ones and I take about 8 to 16 a day and I have to take Zelnorm and still have problems. Is this safe? What would the negative effects be?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Generally the recommendation is to limit magnesium you take daily to under 1000 mgs/day.If you have bad kidneys you may run into problems at a lower dose than usual. Most people seem ok with over that amount on an occasional basis.Some articles on what happens when you get too much magnesium. If you are taking large doses every day even if it appears your kidneys can eliminate it OK, you may want to periodically get your blood magnesium level checked to make sure you aren't getting into trouble.http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic3383.htmhttp://www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsSupplements/Magnesiumcs.htmlFrom the second one.
quote:It is extremely rare to overdose on magnesium from food alone. However, people who consume excessive amounts of milk of magnesia (as a laxative or antacid) or Epsom salts (as a laxative or tonic) may overdose on this mineral, especially if they have kidney problems. Too much magnesium can cause serious health problems including nausea, vomiting, severely lowered blood pressure, slowed heart rate, deficiencies of other minerals, confusion, coma, and even death. More common side effects from magnesium include upset stomach and diarrhea.
K.

·
Registered
577 Posts
K,Thank you so much for that information - I had no idea about the implications. The strange thing is though is despite taking such high doses I have never ever had diarrhea or nausea however there could be underlying problems that could only be detected by blood work. Nobody has every tested my magnesium levels even though they're aware I'm taking so much.I'm seeing a new GI on Monday - hopefully he'll do some testing and I'm also hoping to try Amitiza. I'm still hoping to get more feedback about this drug, and hopefully lots of positive but so far I dont thing its been all that good but everyone's different and I've learnt to expect the unexpected!THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE INFO

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.