Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! new here. what are magnesium supplements ? where do I get them ? how many do I take? Can I use them with physillium fiber??? I've been dealing with IBS C for 21 years!! getiing pretty tired of it all. Thanks to anyonw wwho will answer my silly question!

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
It's not a silly question. I had never heard of taking magnesium supplements until I joined this BB. Makes sense, tho, with products like Milk of Magnesia
The RDA for magnesium (which includes what you get in food) is 400mg. With my doctor's approval, I take up to 750mg of mag oxide every morning with my breakfast. This has been working wonders for me for three years now. I don't take anything else, except drink a lot of water. That, and I make sure I don't miss taking it. Even one day without it (esp. if I don't drink enough water) makes a difference.Since everyone's different, some take less, other's more (the max is 1000mg), at a different time of day. And then some find mag citrate to work better for them. So, it may take a while to find just the right combination. Also, it took a couple of weeks for the mag to really start working for me. But at that time Milk of Magnesia was taking days to work, so I stuck it out.I buy mine at Costco: Nature Made brand in 250mg tablets. I've also bought them at Walgreen's, RiteAid, etc.I don't know of any problems with taking it with fiber.Hope this helps!

·
Registered
186 Posts
if you begin to use mag supplements, will your body then depend on them to have a bowel movement? I know with laxatives, your body becomes dependent on them.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
No, magnesium is osmotic, it draws water into the stool. It's not stimulant laxative.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I got my magnesium oxide at a GNC health store. I take 500 mg. after my evening meal. I also make sure to drink at least 12 oz. of water. I've taken it since February and it works wonderfully the next morning. No cramping either. I also found the information about magnesium on this bulletin board.

·
Registered
830 Posts
i take 400-800mg of mag oxide per day, usually 400mg with my evening meal, Twinlab's brand, found at any health food store. i find that mag oxide works better than citrate or chelated. i absolutely do not take one pill with a mag/calcium/zinc combo; i take my coral calcium separately, with my first meal of the day (along with a C supp and a multiple; a fish oil pill and sometimes CoQ10. ) - g-

·
Registered
495 Posts
Let me tell ya-- If it wasn't for this board I would have never known about Mag supplements; it has saved my life; I take bet 800 and 1000 mg of mag citrate daily; if i don't take it for one day i don't go; You should really try it; I did learn however that it is best to take mag supps with food; I used to take it at night before bedtime and developed abd complaints of pain and other symptoms nessitating the need for endoscopy, which was normal. I have since looked mag supplements up on the internet and they can be a stomach irritant. I also have my magnesium checked every year when I have a physical exam as well as kidney function testing (creatinine and BUN) because people with kidney problems should not take magnesium in any form. I also drink lots of water.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts