Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a low dose of magnesium (250mg) cause any rectal or bladder problems? I don't get diarreha when i take it however there are times,not always when I may have multiple bowel movements and was wondering how much of this was from the mag? I really want to know about the rectal pressure!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Considering that is in the range of how much Magnesium you require to maintain health I don't suspect it would cause problems. The USRDA minimum requirement for magnesium is in the 300+ mgs range and I think most people with sort of usual diets do not get that in their diet (I think I have seen things that most people do not get enough in diet, but if you eat the right foods you may get enough on your own) Usually anything below 1000 mgs a day is considered safe, and usually only people who have kidney damage from something else have problems with high doses of magnesiumSome people find looser stools more likely to cause urgency, but that is independent of what you used to loosen up the stools. http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/magnesium.asp is a factsheet on Magesium.K.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.. I did read the info... One other question. Would a stool softener liike colace (taking ONLY one) cause multiple BM's as well? I thought it would not stimulate the bowel just make the stool softer?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Some of the stool softeners have laxatives in them so check the label to see if it was just a stool softener or a combo.I suspect that if someone is backed up for awhile, when things start moving again one might have more BM's than usual while getting the back-log taken care of.K.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.