Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to an urgent care center over the weekend because of abdominal pain, lightheadedness, loss of appetite, etc. I've had IBS-C for years but have been going through a particularly bad phase. Although I had seen my GI doctor just two days earlier, it was a routinely scheduled follow-up, not a hastily made appointment to deal with the problems I was experiencing. Of course I told him what had been happening, but he only briefly did a manual examination and then, not surprisingly, tried to get me to try another drug (he recommended combining Linzess and Miralax). To be fair, when I steered the conversation toward various tests instead of medication, he suggested a CT scan, although not on an emergency or urgent schedule, and the imaging center didn't call me until four days later to set up an appointment (it will be tomorrow). Anyway, things got a lot worse, so I had to turn elsewhere. The provider at the urgent care center took an X-ray that revealed a significant backup of stool; she recommended that I drink a full bottle of magnesium citrate liquid, 10 ounces. I did, and over the course of about 12 hours I had a lot of activity. It probably didn't eliminate everything that was backed up, but I feel a lot better—for now. It wasn't an experience I'd care to repeat very often, but if I think that this kind of drastic measure is necessary, how often is it safe? It isn't something I'd want to do every week, but maybe once a month if nothing else is helping? Would my body get so accustomed to this kick starter that it wouldn't ever behave normally?

·
Community Manager
13,243 Posts
well you probably want to run this by your doctor but....my gasto doc had me doing half a colonoscopy prep (i used Go Lytely) every week just so i didn't get too backed up. i did this every saturday. it wasn't a whole lot of fun of course but it was effective. you just want to make sure you keep hydrated during all of this--you can drink water but i used to drink gatorade or pedialyte to keep my electrolytes up. you don't want to have an electrolyte crash. although, actually, i think GoLytely does have some electrolytes in it.

anyway, i really don't think that taking mag citrate once a month would make your body get so used to it that it wouldn't ever behave normally, since it's only once a month. just my opinion.

good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts