Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a difference in Mag. Oxide and Mag. citrate? Which is better and how much should one take? Is it going to cause dependency? I know Senna is not good and can mess up your colon if used alot.. is it the same with Mag? Just trying to see what my options may be.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Modern stimulatory laxatives are not proven to cause dependency. All the data shows that if your constipation gets worse, it would have gotten worse if you didn't take anything. Even the dreaded senna has never been proven to cause problems you didn't have on your own. (all the laxatives are bad thing comes from laxatives that are no longer on the market for other reasons).At least at normal doses. You might cause issues if you binge eat then take a whole box to purge, but disordered eating seems to cause long term digestive problems all by itself.Osmotics cannot cause dependence. It just makes the stool wetter, does not change how you move it. Any magnesium compound is an osmotic.I know of know data to say which magnesium compound is better (no head to head evaluations) so you just have to see what you like or what is easy and cheap to get where you are.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.