Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone gets the same result with magnesium that I do. That is I must take a generous 4 tablespoons of MOM to get a result which is one elimination of watery diarrea. If I take less, I don't really get a result. The same applies with magnesium oxide tablets. I must take about 4 800 mg tablets to get a single elimination of watery diarrea. If I take less, the result is either no result, or negligible.Does anyone else have a similar experience?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi, Helpless...I didn't take what you took, so I can't speak exactly to your question, but I did take a 10oz bottle of magnesium citrate this morning, and am still waiting for the "big result". I took it at about 8:35, and, as I write this (3:03PM CDT), I'm still waiting for something more than the rumbles and the liquid squirts I've had so far.What does it take to get things going???

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If you want a quick response you may need large doses all at once.Generally what people are trying to do here is find a dose that if you took it every day it would add just enough water that you get better stool consistancy.It may take several days of the lower dose to see the difference. It only works on stool it is mixed in with unless you take enough to liquify the stool which basically does a colonoscopy prep and flushes everything out which is usually not a good idea to do too regularly as that can dehydrate you.You might want to talk to the doctor about miralax as that high a dose of magnesium every single day is not good for you in the long run. Once in awhile to flush you out may be OK, but what most people do with magnesium here is a low daily dose in the safe range to keep things moving along.If you have to induce diarrhea to go at all you might need to have the constipation evaluated more completely to see if you have transit or pelvic floor issues.K.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.