Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been extremly constipated for months. It has started to slowly come out with the help of metamucil and stool softners. My question is this: I know of have a ton of "****" inside and am wondering if it's ok? Can it hurt me in any way? My stomach is starting to look ethopian (abs puffing out). What should I do, I'm starting to get worried.ThanksTiffany

G

·
Have you ever tried using an enema? I recently had to use two for the first time before a test. It works really well to release the problem. I also use exlax for the same reason. I have learned that it is not good to not move your bowels, i.e. a lot of bacteria, etc.

G

·
Have you ever tried using an enema? I recently had to use two for the first time before a test. It works really well to release the problem. I also use exlax for the same reason. I have learned that it is not good to not move your bowels, i.e. a lot of bacteria, etc.

G

·
There are pros and cons to enemas. I personally use them, but only use about 9-15 ozs of lukewarm water from a baby syringe. For some reason, I don't get enough stimulation in my rectum without it to "keep up", and wind up straining. In the early days, I resorted to Ex-Lax and other laxatives, but that only made things worse. After 3 rectal surgeries for hemorrhoids, tags, and fissures, I have no intention of ever straining again.

G

·
There are pros and cons to enemas. I personally use them, but only use about 9-15 ozs of lukewarm water from a baby syringe. For some reason, I don't get enough stimulation in my rectum without it to "keep up", and wind up straining. In the early days, I resorted to Ex-Lax and other laxatives, but that only made things worse. After 3 rectal surgeries for hemorrhoids, tags, and fissures, I have no intention of ever straining again.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hi Tiffy:There really isn't anything to worry about, so long as you are passing stool fairly regularly. You don't want to get in the habit of using enemas or stimulant laxatives very often. Increasing your fiber intake, both with diet and supplements, is the best way to go. Remember that with increased fiber intake, you also need to increase your water intake dramatically. Believe it or not, taking Metamucil can constipate you if you don't take enough water to keep it moving on through. The bloating may be due to excess gas production from the increased fiber you are taking, but should diminish as your system adjusts and you start going on a more regular basis. Good luck. ~JR~

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hi Tiffy:There really isn't anything to worry about, so long as you are passing stool fairly regularly. You don't want to get in the habit of using enemas or stimulant laxatives very often. Increasing your fiber intake, both with diet and supplements, is the best way to go. Remember that with increased fiber intake, you also need to increase your water intake dramatically. Believe it or not, taking Metamucil can constipate you if you don't take enough water to keep it moving on through. The bloating may be due to excess gas production from the increased fiber you are taking, but should diminish as your system adjusts and you start going on a more regular basis. Good luck. ~JR~

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi, Tiffany: Just happened to see your question. Without meaning to sound overbearing, if you have been "extremely constipated" for months, you really do need to talk to your doctor and get some help -- and I hope you are doing that already. Bulletin boards are OK for general info, but everyone is different. You need to take care of yourself. It's not healthy to be constipated over extended periods of time. I know, I've been there.I also am on a schedule of Metamucil and Colace softener, and drinking at least two quarts of water a day. It works most of the time, but there are occasions when my system gets tied up in knots. It's usually generated from stress and occasionally it hits before my period.I have tried stronger remedies, but they make me uncomfortable, and I don't like the "unpredictability" if you know what I mean.I know it isn't the most popular treatment, but I turn to the enema as a last resort. It's OK with my doctor as long as I do it in moderation (for me that's no more than one a month, two if I'm desperate.) Not the Fleets type, but from an old fashioned bag with a quart or so of warm water and a teaspoon of baking soda. When I'm constipated, I'm also gaseous, and the Fleets don't help at all. The baking soda makes the enema more relaxing to take. Don't use soap, it just cramps you more.Remember, don't abuse. I have a girlfriend who got hooked on them, and that wasn't good at all. Hope this helps. Vicki

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi, Tiffany: Just happened to see your question. Without meaning to sound overbearing, if you have been "extremely constipated" for months, you really do need to talk to your doctor and get some help -- and I hope you are doing that already. Bulletin boards are OK for general info, but everyone is different. You need to take care of yourself. It's not healthy to be constipated over extended periods of time. I know, I've been there.I also am on a schedule of Metamucil and Colace softener, and drinking at least two quarts of water a day. It works most of the time, but there are occasions when my system gets tied up in knots. It's usually generated from stress and occasionally it hits before my period.I have tried stronger remedies, but they make me uncomfortable, and I don't like the "unpredictability" if you know what I mean.I know it isn't the most popular treatment, but I turn to the enema as a last resort. It's OK with my doctor as long as I do it in moderation (for me that's no more than one a month, two if I'm desperate.) Not the Fleets type, but from an old fashioned bag with a quart or so of warm water and a teaspoon of baking soda. When I'm constipated, I'm also gaseous, and the Fleets don't help at all. The baking soda makes the enema more relaxing to take. Don't use soap, it just cramps you more.Remember, don't abuse. I have a girlfriend who got hooked on them, and that wasn't good at all. Hope this helps. Vicki

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.