Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suffered from IBS for over 20 years.I mostly had IBS-D. It seemed to slow down a bit where it was at leastmore tolerable.Upon trying to eat healthier and loose a few pounds I have noticedthat my gas (flatulence) issues have become unbearable.The gas I get is mild early in the day and increases with each meal I eat.It is horrible, foul smelling and burns terribly.I can hear my stomach churning before each time I pass gas.What is the cause for the burning?I think I might be constipated? I don't seem to go as normally and seemto only have small BM's.I feel better after taking a laxative, but don't want that to become part ofmy weekly routine as I can't leave the house the following day.I take Charco-caps which help a bit.Took Align for awhile until I read that it can also cause gas.I am thinking this is caused from the "healthier" diet and increased fiber I have been consuming.I was thinking of trying something like Miralax, but am just so afraid of trying new things.I think I should try a Probiotic (due to the foul smelling gas) but am afraid it will cause more gasand then I won't know the root cause.I just want to be normal. (Whatever that is)Any help really appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Not sure why you are getting a burning sensation.Usually the foul odor is from sulfur being reduced by the bacteria in the colon. You may just have more of those right now.Cutting back on protein (no more than 2-3 ounces per meal) and reducing sulfur containing foods like onions and garlic may help.Sometimes people people increase fiber without increasing their water consumption enough so before adding an osmotic like miralax (or you could try a magnesium supplement in the vitamin aisle if that is less scary, although miralax is about as safe as it gets and if you need more than 1000 mgs of magnesium you should switch over to miralax anyway).Usually the gas increase from probiotics is only for the first week or so as you get them going. Once they are established they reduce gas as by themselves the may no gas at all from the carbs they digest. Where most other bacteria break carbs all they way down to gases.Unfortunately the best treatment for the smell tends to be mildly constipating so you may need to get the harder dry stools under control first. The Bismuth in Pepto Bismol will absorb the smelly gases in the intestine. Now some people don't need very much and so it doesn't really effect their stool consistency. If you add that start really low and see what the least amount you need is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is taking the Pepto the same as the charco-caps?I used to take Pepto a lot when I had IBS-D.I don't want that to bind me up further.Charco seems to help slightly.What will help the best with being able to completely "evacuate" with a BM?I hate that I always feel like I have to go more, but just can't.Will the Miralax cause diarrhea? That is my concern because I used to beIBS-D.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts