Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Male 25 suffering from wet anus, obstructed defecation++

55K views 107 replies 31 participants last post by  QuietDesperation 
#1 ·
Hi all...

I've been lurking here for a few months and have read many of your stories, some are very similar to my own.

6-7 months ago I started having trouble with my bowel movements. I simply wouldn't be able to go in the mornings. It seemed to get better throughout the day. Because of this I started straining, and about 4 months ago more trouble began. I seemed to be getting incomplete evacuations constantly. Bowel movements became random and frequent 4-8 times a day, versus the usual 1 in the morning previously. Stools seemed to come out in fragmented pieces, no consistency. Often when straining I would feel a "ball" sort of thing coming out of my anus. Things just didn't seem normal.

Here are some symptoms I'm suffering from:

- Obstructed defecation, it feels like something is blocking, this is worst in the mornings where I am usually unable to go at all.

- Incomplete evacuation. When I do manage to go, I never feel like I fully empty. Sometimes I will get the urge to go again only 10 mins after previous visit.

- Almost constant mucous/wetness in my anus for most of the day, usually getting slightly better in the evenings. No color, if I wipe myself with paper I can't really see it. I have to wear protection or it will soak through my underpants and eventually pants.

- The constant moisture/mucous comes with an odor. I don't think anyone else really notices, but I'm not sure.

- I'm really not able to let out air like I used to, sometimes it's just hard to tell if I need to have a bowel movement or let out air. I still can recognize when it's air but it's difficult to let out and often result in a very incomplete *puff*. Just doesn't seem normal at all.

- When the urge to go arrives (which happens more suddenly than before) I also get what seems to be massive sweating from my butt cheeks area. I'll be completely soaked in minutes if I don't go.

- The "ball" I felt earlier seemed to have vanished or maybe not coming out as far anymore.

- Often I'll have a weird feeling of pressure in my anus, a bearing down feeling which makes it very uncomfortable to sit on hard surfaces.

- I also have a warm sensation back there often.

- Lower back pain, but luckily not a constant thing

Seemingly out of the blue, about 2 months ago I developed urination issues as well. That includes symptoms such as: frequency, feeling the need to go again after 15-30 mins, I usually don't last more than 2 hours before I have to go and pee again. The beam is weaker and I don't know if my bladder fully empties. Stomach crampings/pain seemed to be another symptom related to this. I've had a few dripples, nothing major, but still an annoyance and added worry.

My doctor said she suspects I may have pelvic floor dysfunction, especially because I'm having issues with both bowel movements and urination.

I've been obsessivly reading up on this and I now suspect I have pelvic floor dysfunction combined with an Internal rectal intussusception or mucosal prolaps. Has anyone else been diagnosed with this and treated? I read the story over at curezone ( http://curezone.org/forums/fm.asp?i=2007440) about another guy suffering from similar issues, unfortunaly he never came back to report on the surgery. I wonder what happened.

What have I done?

- Enema, this has helped me to clear my bowels. I try not to use it too often since I don't know the long term effect of doing this. After doing enema I'll usually get a better day than when I don't.

- Laxatives. I don't use them now, it seemed like they don't work. Even if my stool is softer I still have incomplete evacuations. I may have to experiment more with this though.

- Pelvic floor exercises. Yupp. I've been doing these for almost 1 month now. They say it's going to take 2-3 months minimum before you feel any difference. The latest week I had less odor and feeling of mucous leaking. Now it seems to be mostly sweat (although i'm not sure that it's really sweat, but it doesn't smell). A few days I barely got wet at all. I've had less bearing down feeling in my anus as well. Not much else seemed to have improved though, are these improvments a coincidence or related to my exercises? I don't know. But I'll continue doing them for now, it can't hurt.

Where am I at?

So far I've done coloscopy & rectoscopy. Nothing was found here (unsurprisingly), though I was hopeful that the rectoscopy would show something at the time, all they found was that I had a small hemorrhoid, nothing really. The real test will be in mid-may when I'll be doing the x-ray defecography test. I'm feeling pretty confident this will finally give some answers. I'll also be going for consulation with an urologist sometime in april, I know most of you guys don't suffer from those issues, but I thought I'll mention it anyway, maybe somebody does.

See less See more
#2 ·
I felt the same way and thought suicide was the answer at one point because I felt like #### and anything i did even doctors i visited did not get that. Seeing a shrink I thought did nothing because I needed them to help my stomach issues not my anxiety. To me the stomach issues cause the anxiety not the other way around. So I finally tried some things and now I feel better but the anxiety is still something to work on but atleast I can sit down and try to relax the anxiety without my stomach issues making things worst. Now i am back to work and accepted back in the reserves after being sent to a medical board. Here is what I did:

1. NO smoking!!!

2. Rapid body cleanse by renew life ( vitamin world or amazon)

3. Lillie of the desert aloe vera juice after and before eating to soothe stomach

4. Paragone by renew life ( even if you do not have parasites something in this product makes you feel normal) Continue takiing the pills after the cleanser twice a day

5. Ultimate Flora Critical Colon 80 billion by renew life

6. Continue after cleanser taking aloe vera to soothe stomach and Paragone vitamins that was part of the cleanser and Ultimate Flora pills

So far two people i have suggested this to are feeling better and dont feel like death everyday. So please try and let me know so I can continue to spread the word

#4 ·
I'm exactly in the same boat as you ... every single symptom you've described ... I'm still patiently waiting on a defecography x-ray but the odor is ruining my life, NHS waiting times in the U.K. here are scandalous ... Just because you don't have cancer means you are set to the side and have to wait months for any procedure/consultation.

#5 ·
I felt the same way and thought suicide was the answer at one point because I felt like #### and anything i did even doctors i visited did not get that. Seeing a shrink I thought did nothing because I needed them to help my stomach issues not my anxiety. To me the stomach issues cause the anxiety not the other way around. So I finally tried some things and now I feel better but the anxiety is still something to work on but atleast I can sit down and try to relax the anxiety without my stomach issues making things worst. Now i am back to work and accepted back in the reserves after being sent to a medical board. Here is what I did:

1. NO smoking!!!

2. Rapid body cleanse by renew life ( vitamin world or amazon)

3. Lillie of the desert aloe vera juice after and before eating to soothe stomach

4. Paragone by renew life ( even if you do not have parasites something in this product makes you feel normal) Continue takiing the pills after the cleanser twice a day

5. Ultimate Flora Critical Colon 80 billion by renew life

6. Continue after cleanser taking aloe vera to soothe stomach and Paragone vitamins that was part of the cleanser and Ultimate Flora pills

So far two people i have suggested this to are feeling better and dont feel like death everyday. So please try and let me know so I can continue to spread the word
tell us more about renew life, i heard they kill puppies and have salesmen on internet forums.

#6 ·
I'm exactly in the same boat as you ... every single symptom you've described ... I'm still patiently waiting on a defecography x-ray but the odor is ruining my life, NHS waiting times in the U.K. here are scandalous ... Just because you don't have cancer means you are set to the side and have to wait months for any procedure/consultation.
Yeah that sucks. I'm also waiting since January, but at least May is getting closer... I'm worried about the waiting times after the test as well. Can they even help me where I live? It seems there are not a whole lot of options here. I've been reading up on private solutions and I found one in the U.K I may look into later. Maybe somebody has had experience with it, it's http://www.oxfordpelvicfloor.co.uk/ - I've heard Mr. Dixon is good http://www.spirehealthcare.com/bristol/our-facilities-treatments-and-consultants/our-consultants/mr-anthony-dixon/

#7 ·
Yeah that sucks. I'm also waiting since January, but at least May is getting closer... I'm worried about the waiting times after the test as well. Can they even help me where I live? It seems there are not a whole lot of options here. I've been reading up on private solutions and I found one in the U.K I may look into later. Maybe somebody has had experience with it, it's http://www.oxfordpelvicfloor.co.uk/ - I've heard Mr. Dixon is good http://www.spirehealthcare.com/bristol/our-facilities-treatments-and-consultants/our-consultants/mr-anthony-dixon/
I'm actually going to look in to that oxford place thanks alot for that

#8 ·
horizonzero: keep us updated

Update

Today I had another rectoscopy with another surgeon, this one was scheduled by my doctor due to me complaining of long waiting time, the first one I had done privately. This test was more thorough than the first one and the surgeon also asked me to bear down while having a finger placed in my rectum. While doing so, he discovered that I do indeed have a prolapse.

He told me that there could be internal rectum prolapse, mucosal prolapse, enterocele (I thought this only applied to women, will have to research more). In addition there could be some pelvic floor dysfunction. He said that a mucosal prolapse on it's own wouldn't cause my symptoms and that the mucus from anus could indicate internal rectum prolapse (which he also said is a full-thickness external prolapse in development). Basically what I have suspected has now been confirmed by a surgeon, but he can't tell exactly what kind of prolapse I have. He told me I absolutely have to go for the x-ray defecography test.

All in all I'm glad I went there today, it confirmed some of my suspicions and will contribute with further diagnose since they won't be able to simply reject me as crazy or having psychological issues.

#9 ·
Yo dudes!

I am in exactly the same boat as you guys.

/Almost constant mucous/wetness in my anus for most of the day. When the urge to go arrives (which happens more suddenly than before) I also get what seems to be massive sweating from my butt cheeks area. I'll be completely soaked in minutes if I don't go. Incomplete evacuation/.

It's totally weird and social humiliating.( I don't have to tell you).

I am trying symprove probiotics right now. And still have an appointment with a surgeon. I'll keep you posted.

Please do the same! We can help each other here

Good luck guys!(btw I am 24)

#11 ·
Yo dudes!

I am in exactly the same boat as you guys.

/Almost constant mucous/wetness in my anus for most of the day. When the urge to go arrives (which happens more suddenly than before) I also get what seems to be massive sweating from my butt cheeks area. I'll be completely soaked in minutes if I don't go. Incomplete evacuation/.

It's totally weird and social humiliating.( I don't have to tell you).

I am trying symprove probiotics right now. And still have an appointment with a surgeon. I'll keep you posted.

Please do the same! We can help each other here

Good luck guys!(btw I am 24)
do let us know how symprove goes, very interested in that.

#12 ·
Yo westr,

The symprove does improve my bowel movements somewhat. But still I have the wetness occuring before a bowel movement and afterwards. So even with a consistent stool the problem persists. So I have to get a defeceography I guess. Don't know what else it can be. My surgeon already meniotned a small prolapse once so it makes sense.

greatings

#13 ·
do let us know how symprove goes, very interested in that.
Yo westr,

The symprove does improve my bowel movements somewhat. But still I have the wetness occuring before a bowel movement and afterwards. So even with a consistent stool the problem persists. So I have to get a defeceography I guess. Don't know what else it can be. My surgeon already meniotned a small prolapse once so it makes sense.

greatings

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Unfortunately IBS can lead to colorectal issues like these.. I have the same exact symptoms you do now. Sometimes I use suppositories in the morning if I am stubborn. Seems to help. If I sit a bit too long, a prolapse occurs, gotta manually, err, fix it. Been doing the exercises as well.. Been able to counter the prolapse a bit by doing the exercises, but still problematic.. Close quarters with others is terrible to go through, but I don't care as much nowadays.. If I sit on a plane, it's gotta be aisle seat and close to the restroom.. I bring Tucks pads with me at all times now..

Please update us with your condition and treatments.

#15 ·
Since my last post I have been to the urologist twice and today I finally had the x-ray defecography. Here is my update.

Update: last month (urologist)

The first appointment with urologist was back in early April, I had a quick test of my urin beam, then ultrasound of bladder, then after that I had cystoscopy.
I was barely able to pee, but it had only been 1 hour since last visit, the ultrasound showed that my bladder was empty, so thats good. The cystoscopy showed some slight bladder wall thickening.
The doctor prescribed me some Solifenacin and scheduled me for another visit in one month. He said he believe I have "overactive bladder" and that the pills will increase the volume capacity before urge.

I noticed slight improvement in bed (as in, feeling less urge when waking up in the morning versus before), other than that still very strong urge. I had another visit in early May and we did the beam test and ultrasound again. After that he told me to double my doses of Solifenacin and come back in a month. If still no improvement he will schedule me for an interstitial cystitis test, basically filling up bladder under anesthesia or something.

Since the beginning of April I have been upping my laxative doses (30mg per day) and (to the best of my abilities) quit straining on the toilet. In addition I use enema every 3 days or so to empty. About a week after I began doing this, the wetness went down a lot, and then I had several weeks with almost no wetness. It only recently returned briefly for about 3-4 days together with a more soft/watery and fragmented stool. All in all, things seems to have improved a little. It seems to be mostly due to stool consistency. I believe the mucus may have stopped leaking, or a lot less anyways.

Update: Today (x-ray defecography)

So I finally had the long awaited x-ray defecography. Let me say this: it's not a fun test, but I'm very glad I had it done. I had to meet 2 hours before the test and was given a contrast to drink (barium sulfate for suspension). The taste was awful and almost made me vomit. After waiting for a couple of hours I was brought into a room where I had to undress and was given a towel sheet to cover myself up. After that they filled my rectum with thick barium paste, I had to lie down on stomach, sideways, on my back etc. Apparently I had to lay down in all these positions to make the barium paste spread out all around the colon. Once that was done I was told to sit on the "toilet" and strain or hold depending on what they commanded. They were not looking directly at me (even though they could) but at a screen while this was going on. While I was straining and they were looking at the screen, I could hear the main doctor mumble to himself and co-workers something like "here we have a full thickness prolapse". So that was it. He told me I have a full thickness internal prolapse. My doctor shall be given more details in about a week once they have studied the images further.

Guess operation is next.

#16 ·
Defecography- yes not fun. Full thickness prolapse (internal I assume since before this no detected abnormality) ... this is good as doctors have found a cause. Once cause is found there is better chance that it can be corrected (better than not knowing what the cause is). Yes maybe surgery like STARR, but not always surgery taken for internal prolapse I think.

Good luck with your future treatment

#18 ·
thats good news dude, no rectocele there? let us know what treatment you get. i was about to give up on my hospital but my gp told me there is a letter floating about asking for my defecography.
I have mine next week after a 4 month wait, the sheer thought of this being moved along is fantastic but still the system is corrupt with bureaucracy, if you don't have the words cancer written next to your name the NHS don't want to know you

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
Defecography- yes not fun. Full thickness prolapse (internal I assume since before this no detected abnormality) ... this is good as doctors have found a cause. Once cause is found there is better chance that it can be corrected (better than not knowing what the cause is). Yes maybe surgery like STARR, but not always surgery taken for internal prolapse I think.

Good luck with your future treatment
Yep, full thickness internal prolapse is what they told me. Also from what I have understood, they can do STARR for mucosal prolapse, but full thickness prolapse is treated with Laparoscopic Ventral Mesh Rectopexy.

thats good news dude, no rectocele there? let us know what treatment you get. i was about to give up on my hospital but my gp told me there is a letter floating about asking for my defecography.
They will study the images/video and send answer within one week. At least they couldn't identify any rectolocele right there and then, only the prolapse. Fingers crossed it's only a prolapse that can be fixed.

Keep us updated on your progress.

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
I asked my doctor to give me a copy of the report received regarding the defecography. Figured I would publish it here. It was written in my native language, but I've done my best to translate it to english.

The anorectal angle is almost 70° under squeezing/tightening and increases to just below 100° during rest. No leakage, no descends. Early during defecation an invagination appears right above the anorectal transition, and it turns into a full thickness internal prolapse where the leading tip goes deep into the anal canal.
When the patient strains vigorously the leading tip of the full thickness prolapse comes all the way down to the anal opening. However the prolapse does not protude out into an external posistion. There are no signs of enterocele. Neither is there any mucosal prolapse of degree worthy of mention.

Quick development of full thickness internal prolapse where the leading tip goes into deep position in the anal canal and leading tip appears in the outer opening under straining. There is no accompanying enterocele.

I'm not sure if the anorectal angle I have is good or bad. But not having enterocele, no leakage (not sure why it says so? did they check if I were leaking out the barrium while relaxed perhaps?), no descend, it doesn't sound so bad. It seems I only have a full thickness internal prolapse. Not having any descends probably means I'm a candidate for STARR as well. But a full thickness prolapse probably better treated with LVMR. Although I have also read some people get more constipated if they treat internal prolapse with LVMR... going to be interesting to find out.

I checked out the official waiting time for prolapses and it seems the waiting line is up to 6 months to get checked out and 1 year for operation. If I really have to wait 1.5 years i don't know what I will do, let's hope that's not the case.

edit: while doing research I stumbled upon a picture of the defecography room I was at: http://i.imgur.com/Wj90bEO.jpg

#23 ·
Try this for help to understand meanings of this test

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defecography#Diagnostic_yield_and_interpretation

My x-ray looked nothing like that ... I think they just improvised something
That's perfect! Thanks. It explains the anorectal angle, and so it seems what I have is about normal. As for descent my results doesn't state if that's when straining or not, but if normal perineal descent is less than 4cm I guess having none is good.

Are you saying that those who did your test must have improvised something? why? what did it look like?

#24 ·
You may be suffering from a rectail prolapse that's inhibiting you from holding back your stool, causing it to apply pressure to the sphincter and create a wet sensation. Try doing weighted squats and lungs to strengthen your core and the muscles surrounding the sphincter. Kegels also go without saying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.