Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have experienced spastic pain in the genital area before bm's. My doctor examined me and told me to increase my meds - bentyl, and take an anti-anxiety med too. The genital area "shrinks" until bm is done and I know I'm finished. Any other reports like this from men?

G

·
No reports that I am aware of, but since the regions of the body are close together, there may be some interaction between the parts that show up. Due to nerves they have in common, or other similar sorts of things.There is more discussion, typically, about interactions between female parts and IBS, but some of that is from the monthly hormonal fluxes rather than one thing causing pain/noticable differences in the other parts.The antispasmodics are used for any type of smooth muscle (so bladder/other organs as well as intestinal) so that may be why the meds would work for both sorts of things as most organs have smooth muscles.Some of what you notice with the appearance of the genitals could possibly (this is speculation here) have to do with what you do with your pelvic floor muscles before/during/after a BM. These muscles are involved in keeping it in when you do not want to go and relaxing to let the BM/urine, etc out when you want it to go out. One way to check on that is to learn to do Kegal exercises (stop and start a stream of urine to figure out how to tighten and relax these muscles) and see if once you have some more concious control over them if that can replicate what you notice with the BM's.K.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Other info to include with my intial post. I am 4 weeks post-op of gallbladder removal and umbilical hernia repair. Not sure if these may have aggravated things too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts