Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience dealing with IBS lower left side ache that stays with me all waking hours? This is a very familiar pain. I have had two colonoscopy's in the last 20 years. Diagnosed with severe spasms of the sigmoid colon. Kind of a thorn in the side thing. When I was young I described it as a "phantom pain", not very specific but a general ache. Recent bout has lasted for a couple of months now. After a while it causes a state of phycological depression and weariness. Very difficult to maintain concentration and patience. Anyone had any luck managing this type of chronic pain? It's hard to believe that the colon can be spasming every day, all waking hours! I am having a hard time understanding what my body is doing.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I had that on the right side for a year or so, with a few breaks, so I sympathize. In my case it may have been a degenerating fibroid rather than IBS, though. It's been gone for a while.I think the first question to you has to be, what treatments have you tried over the years that haven't worked?I have been avoiding peppermint oil in recent years because it can aggravate GERD, but in the absence of reflux disease, that would be the first thing I'd try (in the form of enteric-coated capsules for maximum effect).

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
The sigmoid is where the peristaltic movement is initiated apparently.Spasms of the sigmoid should fall in the category of the altered motility orand motility disorders.It is not clear wheither the oversensitivity of the mucosa would be responsible of IBS or the lack of propulsion itself.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I often get that type of pain and have found that low dose amitryptyline(an antidepressant)offers some relief. I also use a breathing technique, almost like lamaze and I massage my lower back on the left.Its hard to do these things if you have little kids to take care of. I think its "normal" for people with IBS to get hit harder than most people if they get a stomach virus. I think its not uncommon in IBS for your colon to "spasm" irratically and for no apparent reason. We (IBS'rs) also have a heightened sensitivity to pain in the area. You might want to try an antispasmodic like levsin or bentyl. Hope this helps

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cranky pantsEnteric capsules are not suppose to bother people with gerd. There are not suppose to release into your body until AFTER they have passed your stomach.I suffer from Gerd, hiatel hernia, ulcer, and barretts on top of my ibs...lol I dont even know what to eat anymore!Anyways, I called around and an owner of a natural foods store that use to be a family physician and dietician now turned homeopathic is ordering them for me.I am hoping to have them by next week.If anyone would have a bad reaction as far as Gerd problems I think it would be me..lolIll let you know what happens, I think Ill know right away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.