Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 49 year old female with IBS - C. For the past 7 plus years I have been managing IBS-C pretty well with minimal effort. My regimen includes probiotics and a nightly cocktail of activia, benefiber and about 8 prunes. In the morning I have coffee and I would have 2 bowel movements everyday. Lately, I have noticed that things have been slowing down. I am having to add stool softners at night to keep things flowing. I have tried Lizness, but feel like I have problems with urniary retention when I am on it. Anyone notice things slowing down even further as you age?

·
Community Manager
13,189 Posts
oh yes---especially during perimenopause and again post menopause.

from what i've read, it's normal for our digestive tracts to slow down a bit as we age...regrettable but normal...

·
Community Manager
13,189 Posts
oh yes, i'm past menopause. i'm 62.

as far as my motility is concerned....my constipation problems are very complicated. I've had chronic C since childhood. after having all my tests, I've been dx'd with slow transit constipation (colonic inertia) pelvic floor dysfunction, rectal hyposensitivity and megarectum.. also a medium size rectocele. now I have abdominal adhesions from open abdominal surgery in 2013.

because nothing else works for me, i'm on laxatives--both a stimulant (dulcolax) and an osmotic (milk of magnesia). both my gastro docs and my surgeons have approved my laxative regimen, telling me to "take what I need to go" because if I don't, I get impacted quite easily. this is not a regimen I would advise to anyone without their doctor's approval.

that's really too bad you developed the urinary retention problem with linzess--sounds like it was working, otherwise.

good luck to you. hope you can find some relief.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was diagnosed with a stage 2 uterine prolaspe, so I am worry about the possibility of more problems further on down the road. I should be doing my exercises, but I have not. When were you diagnosed with your rectocele? Did you have surgery for it? I am sorry to hear you have been dealing with the constipation since childhood.

·
Community Manager
13,189 Posts
so sorry you have stage 2 uterine prolapse.

I was dx'd with the rectocele in 2011, when I had my defecogram. I was surprised to hear I have it since it doesn't bother me. no I don't plan to have surgery for it unless it becomes a problem, which thankfully so far it is not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts