Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I just joined this online forum. I am 64 years old and was diagnosed with IBS when I was eighteen. During most of my adult life I have successfully controlled severe IBS. I have had a regular gastroenterologist for the past 15 years. However, a year ago, I became very sick, to the point where I would have to spend entire days in bed with a heating pad, drinking peppermint and ginger tea and eating saltine crackers. I work with a licensed nutritionist. I can only have frequent very small meals and can tolerate a very limited number of types of food. I used to have an extremely healthy diet which included a daily green salad, vegetables, fruits, whole grains, fish and chicken and I enjoyed eating out at restaurants serving ethnic foods. I am severely lactose intolerant. When I became very ill from IBS symptoms; terrible abdominal pain, extreme nausea and constipation (whereas, formerly I was IBS-D). My gastroenterologist did a thorough work-up. I had a colonoscopy, numerous blood studies, barium studies, X-ray studies, CAT scans and MRIs. Every test was normal. My gastroenterologist told me there is nothing further she can do for me. Yet, I suffer from terrible pain which is very debilitating. As I am writing this, I feel acutely sick with intense abdominal pain and nausea. I used to take lomotil, bentyl and zofran, but am no longer able to use these medications because of side effects. Dealing with this disorder, with the constant pain is depressing. Does anyone have any suggestions? They would be most welcome.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts