Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diagnosed with IBS a few years ago, but was not prescribed any drugs for it. I've since learned what triggers my particular attacks and how to avoid them. My condition is relatively mild compared to many others in this forum (my attacks rarely last for more than 2 days), but my experience may be of some help. This is what I've found -1. Stress aggravates the condition.2. Some foods aggravate it (in my case, sugar)3. I can control the condition entirely by eating habits. To avoid attacks,A] I eat only when I'm truly hungry, and not overeat. E.g. I can feel hungry above the midriff but not hungry below it. In this case, I don't eat and the hunger feeling above the midriff usually passes. I eat when I feel hungry below the midriff.B] I eat a moderate meal at night fairly early and only one type of meal (I don't have sweets or a snack after the main meal) C] I don't have my first meal of the day until I feel hungry (in my case 10 am. By this time I have done a moderate amount of exercise to get my system working and finish digesting the previous night's meal)D] I have a substantial meal at this time and this lasts me until the night time meal.My occupation entails constant, but not strenuous, activity; a more strenuous activity would probably require an extra meal; a sedentary job would probably require smaller meals.E] Complex carbohydrates are included in the meals in preference to refined carbohydrates.F] I try to avoid snacks.I can induce an attack quite reliably by either eating a second meal or snack(especially someting sweet) about 30 minutes after the first, or eating first thing in the morning before exercising to use up the previous night's meal.If dietary indiscretion causes an attack, I just sit it out by not eating until I feel comfortable enough to eat. In an exteme case this can be up to 3 days. (It's a great incentive to do the right thing)I'm aware that my condition is a lot milder than that of many others, but for those of you with a similar condition, it may be worth a shot. IBS is now for me just another thing to look out for (like traffic and dogs) and doesn't control my life with seemingly random unprovoked attacks.Hope this is of some help.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I have a different interpretation of the morning issues (rather than exercise to use up last nights meal...you digested it hours ago assuming a fairly normal daily schedule.).The colon (in everyone, even normal people) is at it's most active right after you get up in the morning.Eating also triggers and increase in activity (this may be the moderate meal is better than large meal/ or eating too soon after eating thing).For some people adding the "move it along I just ate signal" to the "move it along I just got up" signal really sets things off.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I have a different interpretation of the morning issues (rather than exercise to use up last nights meal...you digested it hours ago assuming a fairly normal daily schedule.).The colon (in everyone, even normal people) is at it's most active right after you get up in the morning.Eating also triggers and increase in activity (this may be the moderate meal is better than large meal/ or eating too soon after eating thing).For some people adding the "move it along I just ate signal" to the "move it along I just got up" signal really sets things off.K.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.