Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi K,Hope you can help shead some light about a situation I am in. I have severe motility problems and possibly colonic inertia. I have also been using irritant laxatives which I am unable to stop using without my colon shutting down completely. I have not responded to any of the fiber or osmotic laxatives due to lack of muscle contraction in my colon. I also have severe abdominal pain 24/7 mainly on the LRQ and there is continually a feeling of obstruction in that area and a bit on the left. I have not symptoms of problems in the rectal/anal areas... no discomfort, pain, blockage, pressure or build up.I am confused why doctors are so concerned in performing the above tests as priority and what the relevance would be in motility disorders, especially in my situation. I had a Manometry 9 months ago and it was abnormal and they did nothing about it. Now another doc wants to redo it plus perform a defocography. I dont understand the relevancy of this and am really concerned. Also, what can be done if they do find abnormalities and how would this tie up with the pain motility issue.I also have suspected diffuse ileus, ischemic colon, abnormal loop of bowel, ganglion cells, edema and fibrosis in the lamina propria. Colitis is suspected.I cant understand why this would not be further investigated and dealt with instead of the above tests.It would really help me cope with everything going on if I had more information and would sincerely appreciate any information or feedback you may have.Many thanks.

G

·
They probably want to differentiate between lack of colon motility and pelvic floor disfunction.If your pelvic floor doesn't relax to allow a bowel movement that can appear symptomatically similar to problems with motility. And people can have both.They probably want to fully understand why you cannot ever have any BM's on your own. This may not be causing you noticable pain/discomfort. But if you cannot relax the anal sphincter then you cannot have a BM.K.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
K,Thanks a ton for the information.What I dont understand is that on the last test I did the "Degree of Relaxation" was "Complete", "Quantitation of Relaxation" was JUST within the rangewhich is 75% and the "Threshold Volume of Relaxation" was for 40m, Norm is <30. The "Basal Anal Sphincter Pressure" was 120, Norm >50high and the Sensory Threshold for "Rectal Ballon Dinstention" was 40, Norm <20. Normal EMG.It does seem a bit confusing that they would want to redo these tests, place so much emphasis and priority on it when the relaxation part is OK and taking into consideration my symptoms.Can you possibly help me make some sense of this, I really would appreciate it?Thanks a ton for your help, every bit helps!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.