Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used manuka in the past, especially if I've had a cold or been stressed, and it's a good immune booster. Since I'm losing weight and quite run down at the minute with stuff... my mom has got me this syrup, which is manuka umf and propolis with elderberry. I've seen things on the boards and online about manuka and IBS and just wondering what exactly it does to help? I assume soothes and such. I have IBS-D normally by the way.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Not sure if we really know, but the sales sites all seem to have some theory.Looked in Pubmed and most of the research is in wound healing on the skin.One on artificially induced inflamation in the colon of rats found some anti-inflammatory effect (may translate to Ulcerative colitis, not sure about IBS)http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1868879...p;ordinalpos=14They gave 5-10 grams per kilogram so if you weigh 50kg (110 pounds) that is 250 to 500 grams and 250 grams of honey is almost 12 Tablespoons (at least for generic honey) which is quite a bit. Not sure how much you need for an effect in humans (they usually load the rats up so they know they will get an effect)Some IBSers are sensitive to fructose and honey is usually high in fructose and not sure about what all else may be in the syrup.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts