Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,I was hoping someone could help answer some questions for me. Hope this is not TMI! Over the past few years, I have been going to the doctor off and on for severe pain in the lower right portion of my abdomen. I have had several tests: colonoscopy, ct with contrast, gallbladder ultrasound, blood tests. Nothing has ever shown up. Now here is my mistake. Of course, the doctors have asked if there was anything unusual about my bowel habits. And I have said no--because I never experience diarrhea. And I really didn't think I was constipated...but I guess I just figured that was because I could have movements. I didn't realize how much I was straining until I started drinking TONS of water and realized that my life could be a lot simpler. I stumbled across IBS on the Mayo Clinic site, and it seemed to click for me...I even have the mucus in my stool, which I attributed to some embarassing female sexual issue that I did NOT want to bring up to my doctor. Anyway, I seem to have many of the symptoms of IBS. But could it be IBS with no diarrhea except once in the past 6 or 7 years? And during this time, my doctor has also found my rectal muscle (lower right abdominal pain) to be inflamed. Can IBS cause swollen muscles like that? Oh, and can it flare up when your tummy is completely empty (i know there are some trigger foods)? I know that I'll have to go to my doctor for a diagnosis, but I want to know if it sounds like I'm on the right track first. I don't want to go in there and sound stupid and make a hypochondriac fool of myself.I really hope you haven't found this message to be weird or anything, but I'm trying to get some help and its exciting to think that I may have actually stumbled on something real. Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I was diagnosed with IBS although I had no altered bowel habits at all. I think from what I've read on this forum that it's more correctly known as "Chronic Functional Abdominal Pain"when you have no diarrhea or constipation. I asked my GI doctor why he would diagnose me with IBS when I don't fit the "Rome criteria for IBS" and he answered that "no-one fits the Rome criteria". This makes me wonder why they even have it and why they apply the results of studies on people who do fit the Rome criteria to people who don't. Gotta start somewhere I suppose.Yes, you can get the symptoms when your gut is empty probably because it's not totally empty. Get used to feeling like a hyprochroniac fool when you see your doctor about this as most tend you make you feel like this anyway. But, since 10-15% of people suffer from this at some stage in their lives, he/she should have seen heaps of people with similar symptoms before so you won't be an oddity.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.