Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just read this mini-article; part of me raised an eyebrow over how the meditation seems to target chronically ill people, but the other part of me is somewhat suspicious of this.any thoughts or opinions?

·
Registered
33,934 Posts
Considering that I don't know of any disorder that stress makes better (it pretty much makes all of them worse) and having a chronic condition tends to be stressful for most people, anything that helps to manage stress more effectively is likely to help them feel better/deal with the illness better.K.------------------I am a scientific researcher primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have no ties to the pharmaceutical industry. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
33,934 Posts
Considering that I don't know of any disorder that stress makes better (it pretty much makes all of them worse) and having a chronic condition tends to be stressful for most people, anything that helps to manage stress more effectively is likely to help them feel better/deal with the illness better.K.------------------I am a scientific researcher primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have no ties to the pharmaceutical industry. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
23,788 Posts

·
Registered
23,788 Posts
G

·
there does seem to be a lot of good information coming out now about the benefits ofmeditation and writingin chronic illnesses. i would look to a lot of releasecoming out of APA's convention last week. Ihave a bias for information coming from healthandage.com as they're going to run one of my articles on this but I would expect places like webmd to run stories and they might even get into print journals and newspapers.tom

G

·
there does seem to be a lot of good information coming out now about the benefits ofmeditation and writingin chronic illnesses. i would look to a lot of releasecoming out of APA's convention last week. Ihave a bias for information coming from healthandage.com as they're going to run one of my articles on this but I would expect places like webmd to run stories and they might even get into print journals and newspapers.tom

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
My first M.E. consultant at the Royal Free hospital in London told me to practice Transcendential Meditation because it would give me some deep rest which is essential when you have M.E. It is profound rest and stillness and makes me feel much better than sleep does (sleep typically is unrefreshing for M.E patients). Of course, meditation it is a good physical and mental stress buster so is good for just about any thing you can think of.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
My first M.E. consultant at the Royal Free hospital in London told me to practice Transcendential Meditation because it would give me some deep rest which is essential when you have M.E. It is profound rest and stillness and makes me feel much better than sleep does (sleep typically is unrefreshing for M.E patients). Of course, meditation it is a good physical and mental stress buster so is good for just about any thing you can think of.

·
Registered
14,050 Posts
Tom, Writing? Like what? Journal keeping or something or like creative writing type stuff. This is amazing that they even talk about this at conferences, well, amazing to me anyway. Thanks, BQ

·
Registered
14,050 Posts
Tom, Writing? Like what? Journal keeping or something or like creative writing type stuff. This is amazing that they even talk about this at conferences, well, amazing to me anyway. Thanks, BQ

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Any type of meditation is good mental and physical health; and it can take the form of journaling, because it does center you...I have been journaling for a few years now, and though I won't go into the specifics and bore ya, it is a fantastic way to healing and to self-discovery. Especially when you go back and read things written years before. Getting things down on paper is quite different than just thinking because the physical kinesthetic action of writing, the mental processes of putting thoughts and images and feelings into written form, is very therapeutic. I also wrote fluent poetry, that flowed out of my pencil in one take, completely in rythmn and sometimes metered rhyme, that to this day baffles me that it came from me. Art is another wonderful way...so is any kind of craft, and music as well. Since I am an artsy-fartsy (pun intended
) person, I find when I sew, draw or write, it centers me and does help you to heal in the way you need to do so. But that is for me...others may find it in nature walks...I am trying to do this more and more. when you don't, your body and mind suffer...tho it's hard if you are having D attacks and have stuff to get done! And....sometimes I need to get away from the puter and do what I mention here!! LOL
Thanks for sharing this info, Methical!BQ, give it a try...journaling...no one reads it but you..don't worry about handwriting, grammar, or anything...just get thoughts down, even if they are random and scattered.Thanks for all the intersting posts everyone!------------------~Marilyn~Helping Mike to help others~ www.ibsaudioprogram.com and www.healthyaudio.com

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Any type of meditation is good mental and physical health; and it can take the form of journaling, because it does center you...I have been journaling for a few years now, and though I won't go into the specifics and bore ya, it is a fantastic way to healing and to self-discovery. Especially when you go back and read things written years before. Getting things down on paper is quite different than just thinking because the physical kinesthetic action of writing, the mental processes of putting thoughts and images and feelings into written form, is very therapeutic. I also wrote fluent poetry, that flowed out of my pencil in one take, completely in rythmn and sometimes metered rhyme, that to this day baffles me that it came from me. Art is another wonderful way...so is any kind of craft, and music as well. Since I am an artsy-fartsy (pun intended
) person, I find when I sew, draw or write, it centers me and does help you to heal in the way you need to do so. But that is for me...others may find it in nature walks...I am trying to do this more and more. when you don't, your body and mind suffer...tho it's hard if you are having D attacks and have stuff to get done! And....sometimes I need to get away from the puter and do what I mention here!! LOL
Thanks for sharing this info, Methical!BQ, give it a try...journaling...no one reads it but you..don't worry about handwriting, grammar, or anything...just get thoughts down, even if they are random and scattered.Thanks for all the intersting posts everyone!------------------~Marilyn~Helping Mike to help others~ www.ibsaudioprogram.com and www.healthyaudio.com

·
Registered
14,050 Posts
Thanks Tom I'll be looking for it. Yeah Marilyn it makes total sense to do this kind of expression. Well, any kind of expression. Just because it makes sense, doesn't mean I do it as often as I should tho
. BQ

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.