Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyoneIm a 24 year old man from Norway. I just recently found these forums (2 days ago), and ive been reading lots of posts and comments concerning IBS. First of all im very happy i found this BB, and im positive im gonna spend alot of time here.My problems started some years ago, i had often alot of gas and was more often to the toilet than "usual". It wasnt like D, but still very often. I had no ideas what this was, but it didnt bother me that much really. But one year ago it all became worse. Bloated, lots of gas and diarrhea. After approx. 3 months with this problems i approched my GP. He didnt tell me much, other than "take time, it will heal". Wrong! The problems just got worse, and soon i couldnt leave home because i was running to the loo all the time. After visiting GP again, i was sent to the hospital doing some -cosopi tests. They showed nothing, same with the blood tests. So in August i was told by my GP i had IBS. He said to stress down, to get things in controll etc. And he gave me Surmontil, which i should take 60mg of every evening. After 1 month of that, he changed to Tolvon (which i currently use). It may have helped a bit, but i still have lots of gas and problems leaving home.Since i was little ive been a nervous person. I dont have fear for social activites, but my subconscious has "screwed" up. I get IBS symptoms if im about to leave home or go on social activites or if im gonna travel. I just cant stop thinking about the IBS, im positive its the fear of getting sick that actually triggers it! After what ive been reading on this BB, its a common thing...?Anyways, lately ive been very depressed and sad. Even had thoughts if this life is a life worth living etc. Luckily i got a girlfriend which is VERY understanding and caretaking, she helps me alot and i thank heavens for it. After i found this BB and read stories ive got this "fightermind". There is no way this IBS should get in my way and destroy my life. I got a Uni to finish and i want to have a social life. Now to the strange thing:Ive read the success stories with use of Hypnotherapy, and yesterday i ordered Mike's tapes. But what has happened? After i read about it and ordered it, i havent had any IBS symptoms. My mind has been given hope, and i feel much better! Now i cant wait for the tapes to arrive, im really looking forward to it.This is my story so far, i'll keep updating!Wish you all well

·
Registered
510 Posts
Wow, you sound like a classic IBSer - well at least like many of us here. I like your attitude, and it will serve you well. Keep looking, don't give in to this horrible condition. It's easiest to stay home and be miserable, but it's so worth fighting for something better. Keep us posted, we care.

·
Registered
19 Posts
keep the positive thinking! it really helps. and i found as soon as i started reading other peoples tips and experiences on the forum it relaxed me as i knew i wasnt alone.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Imagine what things will be like after you DO listen to the CDs.Welcome and keep fighting...Mark

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Few days good, now back to normal.The only thing(s) that seem to help temporary is alcohol and sex. Alcohol makes me relax and the IBS symptoms goes away, what are your experiences with it?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Your case is pretty much identical to mine.I don't fear social activities either, in fact, I want to go out -- but subconsciously, I trick myself into getting sick.Keep us updated w/ your progress.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Today im really sad. I am supposed to meet my father in town (he's visiting). I woke up at normal time, but just afterwards i could feel that today my IBS would be bad. And so it is, just hours before i gotta go, i have to drink about 3 glasses of wine to be able to go. This IBS is destroying my life. Right now im really depressed, but when it goes over, i know i will feel different about it...If i didnt have a girlfriend and a family to care about, i would consider doing something dramatical

·
Registered
52 Posts
Aw, you should not think that way. IBS is only a part of you, it is NOT who you are. One very important thing, never give up!!! I am cheering for ya
. What I realized is that you must not fight yourself nor must you give up on yourself. Many of us (IBSers) are connected, our destiny, generally, revolves around finding a cure. So, in some way your destiny corresponds with mine. Maybe, just maybe, you find something that works to alleviate you symptoms. Then you share your experienced with others, they may, in turn, benefit from your experience. You just being here and sharing your life affects others. That is why you cant give in or give up. If you are ever on myspace or need to talk please IM/PM me.-Cheers http://www.myspace.com/kcarlita

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Zaephyr;Glad you posted. It means you still have hope. Can you share what you do to control the IBS, like if you are on any medications or herbs, etc. There are alot of things you can try, but I didn't want to list them in case you say "been there, done that". DO NOT GIVE UP! WE NEED YOU AND YOU NEED US!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi ZaephyrI don’t think it’s a good idea to rely on alcohol to make you go. Alcohol irritates the colon, so probably works as a short term remedy. After a while it stops you evacuating properly. I’d try other things to get going in the morning, like cups of tea or coffee. I think I had the same form of IBS you have, and I managed to cure it with making sure I was completely evacuated in the morning. This takes me an hour and a half. I think I just have a very sluggish colon. Maybe give yourself more time in the morning and see if your symptoms get better. Good luck.

·
Registered
247 Posts
If your GP is just telling you to take time, you need a new doctor. There are many studies, several from Norway, on the causes of IBS. There are quite a number of conditions that can cause IBS, including food allergies, celiac disease, bacterial imbalances, other microbial issues, and parasites. If you see a doctor who will test you for these things you may find that you have a relatively easily treated condition and be able to get over your IBS.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi again. Its time for an update me thinks.Im now on day 12 of the IBS Audio Program 100. Today i feel a very relief, the second session was so calming and beautiful, i just can't wait to hear it again! After i started with the program, ive felt much better than in a long long time. The improvements so far have been remarkable. I still got the "wind problems" and sometimes feel discomfort, but generally am i much better. I even can go to the shop without any worry. I really hope the program will still help me improve and that this is the start of a better future. Im convinced ive found the solution by buying this program.Please share your thoughts if you have any! And take care, i'll keep you updated

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello again! Im now on day 67, but now i start to feel worries again. After like 7-10 days without IBS problems, the last 3-4 days its been coming back again. Espesially Gas/flatulence. Is it all coming back...? I also worry that i havent practiced the tricks Michael introduced in the tapes good enough. I have mostly just been listening and felt relief. A mistake by me, or? I'll try to stay positive, but now im really worried

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Zaephyr. You can always post in the HT forum whenever you have any fears. Or here.
ButFAQ About the IBS Audio Program 100 - Mike's Informational Postings - COMPILATION"Shadow Fears Sometimes symptoms return and you think, oh no, the IBS is coming back, even worse than it wasThe fears you describe are (in my world ), called shadow fears. You are improving but still concerned that you might go back.This is natural, and a sure sign you are moving forward, since the fears are behind you, as you continue to move forward the fears become fainter, weaker and finally go.Also, remember that everyone, those without IBS, have digestive upsets from time to time; so it isn't necessarily the IBS. - Mike""Mike's Post Regarding Perceived "Set-Backs" and "Mind-Armies" Metaphor At some time during the listening of the IBS program, symptoms come and go, and there is good reason for this. Its easiest to understand if we use a metaphor.Let's set the scene: Imagine that the IBS that has been with you, and part of your life for so long, as a resident army of negative thoughts. The IBS program and its imagery and learning's as another army, an army of positive thoughts, that are going to displace the army of old negative thoughts. Comments: The learned thought processes of the IBS have become a part of you. They do want to change because they are fine as they are thank you very much. However, you know that once the IBS is reduced, managed or even eliminated you will feel better. We are not born with IBS, somewhere in the development of things, not only has IBS developed, but it is retained by the thoughts of the subconscious. IBS sufferers run thoughts in their minds, sometimes before they even open their eyes in the morning, what's the IBS going to be like today, how am I going to get to work, what happens if there are traffic queues, what shops have toilets and many other thoughts beside. The subconscious does not want change, because the IBS is familiar. It is part of the sufferers life. No matter how bad the pain, or the bloating or the inconvenience, you have a history of surviving it, and you have. So while it is uncomfortable, its not life threatening, so why should the subconscious want to change? The subconscious does not like change, and will resist it!! It will use excuse after excuse to 'do something else' with your time. Just keep persevering and continue listening to the program. Scenario again; After a while of listening ( and the time varies ), the sufferer will begin to feel better, in reduction of symptoms, or frequency of presentation, or feel more relaxed or less anxious, or might not even be able to put their finger on the reason, but they feel better.This is a sign that the new thoughts, the new army of positive thoughts have begun to displace the old negative thoughts of IBS. Once this happens - the new army of positive thoughts and new positive feelings begin to relax a little, they are making progress. However! As any general in warfare knows, if they are being beaten, they do an organised retreat, and regroup, ready for another attack. When the old thoughts attack, Then the old thoughts come back, feeling as if they are just as bad as before. Comments: The fact that the old army of negative thoughts is pushing back is natural and normal. However, since the suffer has been feeling better, they are more relaxed, but then they begin to feel how things used to be again, they are reminded of the old discomforts. In some people their bowel habit may change, but it is only temporary.Scenario: Again the new positive thoughts, fight back, they once again push away the old army of negative thoughts, but the old thoughts are weakened now, they are fought back again. The subconscious really does not like change.Once again the positive army of thoughts are encamped, their position is strengthened.Comments: The subconscious begins to understand that it can still survive with the new positive feelings, it begins to feel better too, and because of that, the subconscious, through gentle learning realises that it is feeling better, the body is feeling better, and the outlook and attitude of mind is better too. All these things come together to move the sufferer forward, reducing symptoms and frequency of presentation.Scenario: The old army of positive thoughts will fight back again, however the strength of the old thoughts is much less, the times that the old thoughts try and come back become less frequent. Comments. The establishment of new positive thoughts change the way the sufferer feels, in body mind and self. What you have described is not unusual, although not all listeners have this. In my world, what you have described in normal: Also hypnotherapy has a proven track record of helping sufferers - if the therapist knows what they are doing of course "http://ibsgroup.org/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f...0261/m/76210974Try not to worry if you have a set back. They can throw you for a loop a little, because you have been doing better and then you have a set back, its like oh no, but really those fears will get weaker as you keep going and finnish. You have done well already and will again.
"I also worry that i havent practiced the tricks Michael introduced in the tapes good enough."Don't worry about anything at the moment just try to relax and finnish and then later you can work on anything you want. At the moment you can just use the tricks as much as you can and that is good.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Hi Zaephyr - Not to worry - you know you can beat this - you have felt better before you can again. We IBSers tend to dwell on the bad days - I know, because it took me so long to conquer years of feeling bad and nothing else working - but Mike's program did it - you can do it.We are all here to support - and you know you can call Mike or email him, or even talk to me or contact me for direct support if ever you need it.It is normal to have some swings back and forth as your body and mind seek balance. And too, know that even non-IBS patients have tummy/digestive issues from time to time - you can feel better, just be patient with yourself, and take each day as it comes!Feel free to ask any questions - and also visit us on the hypno forum for support if you wish.All the best to you -

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Zaephyr,I too have been almost housebound for the past 5 months, with D as soon as i wake and chronic pain all day and crippling attacks in between.I had almost given up hope that i wld eva b able to live a real life again, then my fiance bought me a meditation dvd, and just doing that helped my mind feel more positive and helped me control the pain.Then a friend of mine that also suffers from IBS - C got me to a Chinese herbalist/ accupuncturist last wed. i was scheptical at first as i had seen an accupuncturist b4 and it didnt help, but this lady was different, she took down my life history and times when i had tummy aches as a kid.She then says to me i can fix you in 8 weeks, i am thinking oh yeah, then she starts with the acc, but not like normal acc, she put a lot of needles in my tummy and i cld feel the cramps easing and moving, she also did alot of manipulation on my tum.All the while she is confident my problems are 95% nerves and 5% food, she then gave me herbs in tablet form (Black Pearl brand) one for my tummy and one to work on anxiety and nerve pain.It has been 5 days since i saw her i have been taking the pils and doing meditation and i have been able to eat again, my BMs are down to 2 a day and i can go out without too much fear of getting sick, i feel like there is hope and cant wait to see her on wed.Your symptoms sound similar and if urs are mostly stress related then maybe this can help you too, good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Zaephyr I am in a similar position as you atleast with the mental issues. I haven't been having attacks lately but I do get what feels like butterflies in my stomach when I know I have to go out of town. It's not like the cramping and urgency of having to use the washroom without actually having the washroom I used to have though. I know what you mean by the alcohol. For some reason it really calms me down. I can go out and eat dinner and eat whatever I like without any problems. For some reason I don't even think twice about it if I am drinking alcohol. For me though sometimes I will have attacks in the morning if I have drank heavily. Thats really the only thing thats been triggering attacks for me lately. I think it partly might have to do with the street meat "hot dog stands" that I eat before I go to bed sometimes after a long night of drinking. This weekend I was ok though I was an hour away from home and I had a huge breakfast at like 3 am and I woke up without any attacks it was nice for a change!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you all for feedback, it really warms!
Im going to see my GP tomorrow morning, maybe i can get something for my anxious mind/stomach. I was wondering if any of you could suggest a drug that _might_ be helpful for this issue? My IBS has been pretty OK the last days, tho gas is still a problem, espesially when i wake up in the morning. Any ideas on why so? I don't eat late at nights, but still in the morning i feel like a balloon. After "pushing" it out, it stops and i usually feel good until i eat dinner at 18 pm, then i can have some gas later on, but not so "bad" as in the morning.Hope for some help, espesially on the "anxious drug", i really appreaciate it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think its time for an update again (for those interested)Symtoms lately: - Gas, a little bloatingWhat have i done with the IBS lately: - Benefiber (fiber supplements)- Paxil (antidepressant)- Continuing with the IBS Audio Program 100How i would describe my life lately: I had an appointment with my GP about 14 days ago, we decided to try Seroxat (Paxil), and see if it could help me with the anxiency and hopefully reduce my overall IBS symtoms. At the same time i was at the drug store, i asked if they had sometime for the terrible bloating/gas, and the woman almost urged me to try Benefiber. It was a bit expensive, but i gave it a try. After 1 day i could feel the difference! Unfortunally the gas was still there, but i felt much better. I had little abdominal discomfort, and i felt like go shopping (hasnt happened for about a year). After that ive still progressed, feeling better each day. I can even eat dairy products, for me its like a beginning of a new life. I called my GP and asked about the Paxil, and he said it would take about 1 month too see the real benefits of it, but i feel much better already. Im not afraid to go travelling or leave the appartment anymore. Right now, i feel so happy i could cry, i just hope it lasts and keeps getting better! No Diarreah attacks and no abdominal discomfort, it really should be something everyone could feel, but i feel happy i dont experience it.. (life is weird!)I'll keep you posted, now im almost in tears because im happy i seem to find something that helps me and my ibs from killing myself.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Hi Zaephyr !I´m so glad you´re doing well!! Hope it will last as long as possible . I know what a great feeling it is when your digestion is ok. It´s just freedom. We just must take IBS the way it is : sometimes better and sometimes really horrible. If only the better periods could take forever!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts