Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The devil made me do it. I ate the fat on my lamb chop yesterday and I suffered for 24 hours with d. (I normally do not have any random bouts of d. unless I have MSG.)I am quite positive because this has happened to me before. (In fact, I don't eat beef because I get the same reaction regardless of whether I avoid the fat on the beef or not.)Who else reacts to meat fat? Why do you think this happens? Does anyone know if there are additives added to the meat that I may be reacting to? Can there be something wrong with me like my gall bladder? What should my doctor check me out for?Thanks!

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Howdy
Yeah I react to meat fat like that. Did before I had the Gall Bladder out & do now too. BQ

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Howdy
Yeah I react to meat fat like that. Did before I had the Gall Bladder out & do now too. BQ

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
What happens if you eat something drenched in olive oil or breaded and deep fat fried?It may be the type of fat or could just be fat in any form, but most of us don't get as big a dose of fat from veggie sources as we do from meat.Fat seems to be a common IBS trigger and it may or may not have anything to do with the gall bladder.The stomach has to send out signals about the meal you consumed so if you have a gall bladder you know to release more or less bile. What all picks up on those signals I dunno, but it could be the hey got a high fat meal here that is triggering some sort of over-response to the meal that causes the symptoms.Now if you are releasing more bile than you can use and reaborb (which could be a functional or an organic thing) then you could be having diarrhea from that as bile is a colon irritant.K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
What happens if you eat something drenched in olive oil or breaded and deep fat fried?It may be the type of fat or could just be fat in any form, but most of us don't get as big a dose of fat from veggie sources as we do from meat.Fat seems to be a common IBS trigger and it may or may not have anything to do with the gall bladder.The stomach has to send out signals about the meal you consumed so if you have a gall bladder you know to release more or less bile. What all picks up on those signals I dunno, but it could be the hey got a high fat meal here that is triggering some sort of over-response to the meal that causes the symptoms.Now if you are releasing more bile than you can use and reaborb (which could be a functional or an organic thing) then you could be having diarrhea from that as bile is a colon irritant.K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
K. In response to your questions:1. I use lots of extra virgin olive oil in my cooking (for flavor) and when I am lightly frying or sauting. 2. I never have any food that is deep fat fried.As far as other fats, I tolerate avocadoes which I have almost daily. They have high fat.I was attempting to use nuts to supplement my limited diet but I stopped lately. If I have alot of cashews, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds (they are so good), I get d. Maybe, it is the type of fat as you mentioned.I have my Gall Bladder and an ultrasound did not reveal any problems. How does one get their Gall Bladder checked out?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
K. In response to your questions:1. I use lots of extra virgin olive oil in my cooking (for flavor) and when I am lightly frying or sauting. 2. I never have any food that is deep fat fried.As far as other fats, I tolerate avocadoes which I have almost daily. They have high fat.I was attempting to use nuts to supplement my limited diet but I stopped lately. If I have alot of cashews, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds (they are so good), I get d. Maybe, it is the type of fat as you mentioned.I have my Gall Bladder and an ultrasound did not reveal any problems. How does one get their Gall Bladder checked out?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Usually the ultrasound is pretty typical, but then usually they only look for stones/sludge. I think there are some other scans that they do, but it's mostly along the looking for stones thang.I don't know if there is a good way to prove that it releases the right amount of bile for the amount of fat you eat.K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Usually the ultrasound is pretty typical, but then usually they only look for stones/sludge. I think there are some other scans that they do, but it's mostly along the looking for stones thang.I don't know if there is a good way to prove that it releases the right amount of bile for the amount of fat you eat.K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know this is going to sound like an advertisment, but have you tried the george forman grill. I was sad when I discovered that I could no longer eat red meat because of the fat. Then I got a george forman grill and now I can have burgers whenever I want and I don't have to suffer. Also barbequeing helps burn the fat away. Try it, I am now a happy camper because of it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know this is going to sound like an advertisment, but have you tried the george forman grill. I was sad when I discovered that I could no longer eat red meat because of the fat. Then I got a george forman grill and now I can have burgers whenever I want and I don't have to suffer. Also barbequeing helps burn the fat away. Try it, I am now a happy camper because of it.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I don't think the fat in meat affects me as much as something else. I have bad reactions even to 98% lean hamburger meat. I can also eat butter with no problems whatsoever. However, I'm pretty sure it's only because I don't eat beef very often. Its main effect on me is that it makes my colon muscles spasm in such a way that I get super bloated with C for a few days.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I don't think the fat in meat affects me as much as something else. I have bad reactions even to 98% lean hamburger meat. I can also eat butter with no problems whatsoever. However, I'm pretty sure it's only because I don't eat beef very often. Its main effect on me is that it makes my colon muscles spasm in such a way that I get super bloated with C for a few days.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I can get even more specific. Vegetable and nut oils are fine for me. Fish and poultry oils are fine unless I am already having a bad day. Pork, Lamb, and Beef are no-nos unless I'm feeling just great already, and I cut off most of the fat, and I don't eat much of them. The beef is the worst of the three meats. Do you guys think beef is the worst mammal meat for me because I'm allergic to milk? Are there cross-over proteins? I've never had veal, partly because I don't like the idea of it, and partly because it's "milk-fed", and I don't know how much if any of the milk gets into the meat. Whaddaya think?------------------JennT

·
Registered
824 Posts
I can get even more specific. Vegetable and nut oils are fine for me. Fish and poultry oils are fine unless I am already having a bad day. Pork, Lamb, and Beef are no-nos unless I'm feeling just great already, and I cut off most of the fat, and I don't eat much of them. The beef is the worst of the three meats. Do you guys think beef is the worst mammal meat for me because I'm allergic to milk? Are there cross-over proteins? I've never had veal, partly because I don't like the idea of it, and partly because it's "milk-fed", and I don't know how much if any of the milk gets into the meat. Whaddaya think?------------------JennT

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The milk proteins are pretty much only found in the milk. Not in the meat.Beef in the US may be a problem because the heavy corn feeding most of our cattle go through makes the meat more marbled than it would be if it were just range-fed. My folks grew up in Canada and I know people from Europe (both places where corn-feeding is typcially not done) and the beef here is noticably different than the beef here. Beef from cows that are range-fed doesn't have the melt in your mouth quality that Americans seem to like and comes from the meat being well marbled.So with most beef even if you cut off the fat on the edges you can still be getting a fair amount of fat. Pork tends to be leaner these days then it used to because the public seems to want leaner pork so they breed leaner pigs. But we want melt in your mouth steaks so the pressure isn't there to make leaner cows.K.K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The milk proteins are pretty much only found in the milk. Not in the meat.Beef in the US may be a problem because the heavy corn feeding most of our cattle go through makes the meat more marbled than it would be if it were just range-fed. My folks grew up in Canada and I know people from Europe (both places where corn-feeding is typcially not done) and the beef here is noticably different than the beef here. Beef from cows that are range-fed doesn't have the melt in your mouth quality that Americans seem to like and comes from the meat being well marbled.So with most beef even if you cut off the fat on the edges you can still be getting a fair amount of fat. Pork tends to be leaner these days then it used to because the public seems to want leaner pork so they breed leaner pigs. But we want melt in your mouth steaks so the pressure isn't there to make leaner cows.K.K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I just thought I would tack on that the 98% fat-free beef I referred to is called Longhorn Ground Beef, and it claims that the cattle are left to graze rather than being fattened by grain.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I just thought I would tack on that the 98% fat-free beef I referred to is called Longhorn Ground Beef, and it claims that the cattle are left to graze rather than being fattened by grain.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts