Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm now taking amitryptaline and also loperamide but suffering from terrible rumbling especially at night. Very difficult to sleep. So doc prescribed Mebeverine. Has anyone had any success with this? It looks from the leaflet like it's to stop spasms. I guess that's to help the pain. But how will it help the windy rumbling?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think that if you have unconnected gut spasms (that is, muscle contractions that are not contributing to peristalsis) then the gut contents are being moved around a lot without actually travelling down your gut. This is what's producing all the noise. The anti-spasmodics should reduce the amount of movement occurring, hence the amount of noise. That's my theory as to why he might have prescribed it. That and the fact that doctors tend to always prescribe the same things for IBS regardless. However, I didn't get any relief from anti-spasmodics although I was only concerned with the pain, not the noise.The amitrip should allow you to sleep better so I'm surprised that the noise is enough to keep you awake.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.