Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something I have been noticing on this board is members occasionally telling others to self medicate or forego their md appt., etc. Some of these people are VERY ill. They need medical supervision and not an OTC remedy. Delay of medical treatment can be life and body threatening at times. Someone should always get a medical opinion before trying to self medicate! :love:

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
i think this is an unfair characterization of this bb. you are of course right aboutchecking with your doctor and i have seen this recommendation numerous times.. I f you feel someone is giving medical advice please inform Jeff. he does a very good job on this issue compared to other bbs I've seentom

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
i think this is an unfair characterization of this bb. you are of course right aboutchecking with your doctor and i have seen this recommendation numerous times.. I f you feel someone is giving medical advice please inform Jeff. he does a very good job on this issue compared to other bbs I've seentom

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is in no way unfair. See the post on the woman with chest pain being told not to worry, it's only a panic attack. I'm sure the moderators of this board are well aware of what is being posted.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is in no way unfair. See the post on the woman with chest pain being told not to worry, it's only a panic attack. I'm sure the moderators of this board are well aware of what is being posted.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
ADdedFluOrescence:You do have a point, as sometimes people on the Board who do not work in the healthcare profession in their honest zeal to help others are not aware of the obligation (as they do not have it professionally) to ensure that the proper caveats are attached to their advice.Any advice or counsel rendered by those of us who work in healthcare is either explicitly or implicitly accompanied by caveats which indicate a precondition of the advice is that the person is under the care of, say, a Board Certified GI doc and has had a proper differential diagnosis performed and the results have been [x-y-z as is appropriate] THEREFORE on that basis we would suggest looking into the following.Or something to that effect...at times even foregoing any suggestions at all other then aggressively encouraging the person to seek specific counsel from a specific practitioner for their symptoms.It is true that what you say happens, does happen, but I have been here for some time and 9 times of 10 when it does it seems merely to be well intentioned, and from lay people sharing their own experiences and who understandably are absent education as to the nuances of obligations of the Hippocratic Oath and appurtenances thereunto. I think most people are aware when a lay person makes recommendations that those recommendations have to take the source into account, and most are not foolish enough to simply entrust thier personal health to the care of disembodied pseudonyms online.Then again, it is also true that sometimes folks do NOT really want to take action for certain reasons and seek advice such as that you reported so as to rationalize to themselves that they do not need to do what others have told them is wise...be it motivated by fear or even attachment to their disease and anything in between. [Some people do get attacehd to their symptoms, especially when they find them to be a convenient means of exercising control over others, and actual action which leads to remission can seem less attratctive than rationalizing that there is no solution, hence perpetuating a situation that suits them better if it continues than if it is resolved].All manner of people populate the world, and IBS World is simply a microcosm. So while I cannot disagree with what you say, it just my observation that often the person who uses the advice of a layperson to justify inaction will do so most times anyway...they will seek out that "advice" hither and yon until it is received, since they are seeking validation for inaction as regards thier medical care anyway whether it comes here or around the bridge table.I gotta go...going off on the road...but I wonder how much grist for the old mill was just tossed on the table?
Eat well. Think well. be well.MNL

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
ADdedFluOrescence:You do have a point, as sometimes people on the Board who do not work in the healthcare profession in their honest zeal to help others are not aware of the obligation (as they do not have it professionally) to ensure that the proper caveats are attached to their advice.Any advice or counsel rendered by those of us who work in healthcare is either explicitly or implicitly accompanied by caveats which indicate a precondition of the advice is that the person is under the care of, say, a Board Certified GI doc and has had a proper differential diagnosis performed and the results have been [x-y-z as is appropriate] THEREFORE on that basis we would suggest looking into the following.Or something to that effect...at times even foregoing any suggestions at all other then aggressively encouraging the person to seek specific counsel from a specific practitioner for their symptoms.It is true that what you say happens, does happen, but I have been here for some time and 9 times of 10 when it does it seems merely to be well intentioned, and from lay people sharing their own experiences and who understandably are absent education as to the nuances of obligations of the Hippocratic Oath and appurtenances thereunto. I think most people are aware when a lay person makes recommendations that those recommendations have to take the source into account, and most are not foolish enough to simply entrust thier personal health to the care of disembodied pseudonyms online.Then again, it is also true that sometimes folks do NOT really want to take action for certain reasons and seek advice such as that you reported so as to rationalize to themselves that they do not need to do what others have told them is wise...be it motivated by fear or even attachment to their disease and anything in between. [Some people do get attacehd to their symptoms, especially when they find them to be a convenient means of exercising control over others, and actual action which leads to remission can seem less attratctive than rationalizing that there is no solution, hence perpetuating a situation that suits them better if it continues than if it is resolved].All manner of people populate the world, and IBS World is simply a microcosm. So while I cannot disagree with what you say, it just my observation that often the person who uses the advice of a layperson to justify inaction will do so most times anyway...they will seek out that "advice" hither and yon until it is received, since they are seeking validation for inaction as regards thier medical care anyway whether it comes here or around the bridge table.I gotta go...going off on the road...but I wonder how much grist for the old mill was just tossed on the table?
Eat well. Think well. be well.MNL

·
Registered
247 Posts
Admflo,You raise a valid point, one which cannot be stressed enough: NOBODY SHOULD CHANGE THEIR MEDICAL REGIME WITHOUT FIRST DISCUSSING IT WITH THEIR DOCTOR. Many people say this in their signatures. Jeff has said this countless times. But the people who post need to take some responsibility. If someone is complaining of chest pains, regardless of the advice they get here, should absolutely seek medical advice. I have, on many occasions, printed out information from this board and brought it to my GI or GP. And they are always interested in other people's experiences. Perhaps it should be stated more implicitly on the BB, but nobody should be making medical decisions based solely on what they read here. But this board sure has proven to be a valuable resource in managing my IBS.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Admflo,You raise a valid point, one which cannot be stressed enough: NOBODY SHOULD CHANGE THEIR MEDICAL REGIME WITHOUT FIRST DISCUSSING IT WITH THEIR DOCTOR. Many people say this in their signatures. Jeff has said this countless times. But the people who post need to take some responsibility. If someone is complaining of chest pains, regardless of the advice they get here, should absolutely seek medical advice. I have, on many occasions, printed out information from this board and brought it to my GI or GP. And they are always interested in other people's experiences. Perhaps it should be stated more implicitly on the BB, but nobody should be making medical decisions based solely on what they read here. But this board sure has proven to be a valuable resource in managing my IBS.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Dear AdmfloI havent been coming to this board for long (only diagnosed Dec 01) but I have rec'd alot of good advise and support from all the people on the BB. The best one for me so far was a suggestion of Calcium and Yes I did ask my doctor before taking it and I have to go for tests every 3 months to check my calcium levels just to make sure.I have had more help and understanding on this BB than from most of my friends and family for which I appreciate greatly.
Without BB like this I am sure some of us would be lost. Em

·
Registered
766 Posts
Dear AdmfloI havent been coming to this board for long (only diagnosed Dec 01) but I have rec'd alot of good advise and support from all the people on the BB. The best one for me so far was a suggestion of Calcium and Yes I did ask my doctor before taking it and I have to go for tests every 3 months to check my calcium levels just to make sure.I have had more help and understanding on this BB than from most of my friends and family for which I appreciate greatly.
Without BB like this I am sure some of us would be lost. Em

·
Registered
307 Posts
Don't you think that the people on this board are intelligent enough to know that the information on this board is just that,information?You'd have to be pretty simple minded to take the advice given and not see a regular Doctor. Don't you think.I've been to GI's and family Dr.'s who have done all the test and given all the meds and have come to the point where they have no idea what to do,so I look to the BB for advice from others who can offer "suggestions" on how to make my life a little better,but I would never avoid the DR. if I were experiencing pain,or any change in my condition.I always thought the BB was for informative advice,not for medicl treatment.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Don't you think that the people on this board are intelligent enough to know that the information on this board is just that,information?You'd have to be pretty simple minded to take the advice given and not see a regular Doctor. Don't you think.I've been to GI's and family Dr.'s who have done all the test and given all the meds and have come to the point where they have no idea what to do,so I look to the BB for advice from others who can offer "suggestions" on how to make my life a little better,but I would never avoid the DR. if I were experiencing pain,or any change in my condition.I always thought the BB was for informative advice,not for medicl treatment.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I really don't believe the majority of people here would do things without their Drs. permission. I somewhat remember the discussion your talking about. I couldn't find it to refer back. But I think the person said they were to see their Physician in a couple days . I would have hoped the Dr's office would have screened the paitent to distinguish if it was indeed a medical emergency. And not put him/her off a couple days. I remember saying that I too had chest pain and it was muscular. Not cardiovascualr. I didn't try to dismiss the importance of seenig a phsician. But I did want to help alieviate some of the stress in waiting for an appointment. I do believe there is a disclaimer at the bottom of the page. Admflo, your intensions are good.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I really don't believe the majority of people here would do things without their Drs. permission. I somewhat remember the discussion your talking about. I couldn't find it to refer back. But I think the person said they were to see their Physician in a couple days . I would have hoped the Dr's office would have screened the paitent to distinguish if it was indeed a medical emergency. And not put him/her off a couple days. I remember saying that I too had chest pain and it was muscular. Not cardiovascualr. I didn't try to dismiss the importance of seenig a phsician. But I did want to help alieviate some of the stress in waiting for an appointment. I do believe there is a disclaimer at the bottom of the page. Admflo, your intensions are good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.