Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you all for responding to my previous posts.For those of you who have not read my previous topics, here is a summary:Over the past week and a half I have experienced very bad abdominal pain, gas, bloating, etc. I have seen my doctor and given the medication Dicitel to help with my new-found IBS. I have some questions about my medication:I have been on Dicetel for 5 days. I have started to notice a little bit of improvement, while the medication is in my system. However, when I wake up in the morning (when my medication has worn off), before I take my next dose, I experience the same TERRIBLE symptoms I had before... a constant need to go to the washroom, frequent, painful bowel movements, and bloating. I also find it hard to pass gas while the Dicetel is in effect.I only have bowel movements AFTER the Dicetel has warn off. While the Dicetel is in effect, I cannot go. It does stop many symptoms. My doctor has given me a very strong medicine called BUSCOPAN that will stop these morning episodes, before the Dicetel kicks in. The side effects listed with this medicine are quite scary. Also, if I cannot go with the Dicetel, or the Buscopan, when WILL I be able to go?I have not used the Buscopan, and may not, as I am very nervous about these side effects. Anyone have any knowledge about either medicine? Any tips?Also, my doctor seems to think that I can get rid of the IBS (I had it when I was younger, and it went away) by taking Dicetel for a number of weeks. Does anyone here have any experience with Dicetel, or know how long it might take to see full effects?Any information on these medications, or any others that you have found to help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
840 Posts
I took dicetel for a few years but didn't do much for me, I think it worked it the beginning but i'm not sure because it never took the pain completely away. I stopped taking it because it is expensive and felt pain on it anyways. I find that if I watch what I eat, no lactose,beans, eggs i do pretty well. I take metamucil twice a day and make sure to not leave the house without having a bm. My doctor said that dicetel takes about three weeks to start working and it has no side effects, I didnt experience any side effects while on this drug. I don't know anything about the other medicine you mentioned. I hope it works for you. Good luck. I have lots of dicetel left over, i'd give them to you if you were close by.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I took dicetel for a few years but didn't do much for me, I think it worked it the beginning but i'm not sure because it never took the pain completely away. I stopped taking it because it is expensive and felt pain on it anyways. I find that if I watch what I eat, no lactose,beans, eggs i do pretty well. I take metamucil twice a day and make sure to not leave the house without having a bm. My doctor said that dicetel takes about three weeks to start working and it has no side effects, I didnt experience any side effects while on this drug. I don't know anything about the other medicine you mentioned. I hope it works for you. Good luck. I have lots of dicetel left over, i'd give them to you if you were close by.

·
Registered
613 Posts
It does take several weeks to become effective. If the Dicetel is turning your D into C then decrease the dosage. I took 1/2 tablet 3 times a day when I first went on it. Adjust the dosage till you find what works for you.

·
Registered
613 Posts
It does take several weeks to become effective. If the Dicetel is turning your D into C then decrease the dosage. I took 1/2 tablet 3 times a day when I first went on it. Adjust the dosage till you find what works for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.