Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else avoid taking medication for fear of the side effects? I used to be able to take anything the doctor threw at me without a second thought or a major problem. Now I don't even like to take OTC meds because I fear the side effects. I really don't know when I became so fearful but it is really starting to become a problem for me. I think some of the time I have the "side effects" simply because I think I will.Anyone have any insight on how to get over this? Thanks!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am not sure how to get over this either. I fear the same things. For example...do you think I would actually take a drug that was previously pulled off of the market and now allowed back on?! Never!! I am currently attending college for Nursing and I have learned alot. My concerns really began when my family doctor prescribed me some medication that ended up not mixing with my seizure medication..(he knew of the seizure medication)...Ever since then, I look everything up on the internet or talk to the pharmacist about it before I purchase. Most of the time I end up not purchasing though. There is only two mediations I have tried for IBS: Desiperamine and Donnatal....neither one of these drugs were new to the market either. Doctors are not perfect, so I prefer to invesitgate it myself..

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Lauralee, I don't know if this would be considered IBS protocol for working through medication woes, but basically this is what I've done.I simply said to heck with it.I hurt.Who cares.If the pain gets any worse I'll probably die from a heart attack so what's to lose.It was the best decision I ever made and yes in deed it has probably saved my life up until this point because I was recently diagnosed with Heart Failure and a tachycardic heart that even began way before my currents meds came on board.Actually the damaging activity began during an emergency surgery on my colon.It took until I had a giant muscle spasm that dislocated my jaw last month for me to finally go see the Cardiologist.I went, he put me on a new med and so far so good.My jaw was so bad that now a month and many antiinflammatories later, I still need to see a maxillofacial Surgeon for an evaluation and guidence.So, bottom line, pure and nature simply does not mean much if your organic conditions are left unaddressed to the point it's killing you.Oh, and by the way, I do know how to meditate.I AM very schooled in the ways of Holistic Healing.I used to TEACH relaxation and meditation classes.I've used yoga as both a physical restorative practice and a spiritual outlet.I've had acupuncture, I've had chiropractic I've had body work.No I don't do CBT but I helped teach the Course in Miracles.there's a lot of very positive life affirming thinkgs I know.But bottom line,I needed the bridge of traditional medication to keep me grounded in the physical lest I get carried away by the change in the wind.So for today, thanks to my meds, I'm still here.Kamie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.