Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, well, I feel bad that this situation is happening to you. If you discussed this topic with your doctor? In this situation, I recommend you look for information on the internet at health-related sites. Also, I would recommend you to read articles from Jennifer Anyabuine. She is writing about multiple medications, so you may find a proper medication that will be effective for a long period. I'm not familiar with the tachyphylaxis phenomenon, but I'm sure modern medicine has a good answer to this diagnosis. If you are interested, reach me in private messages. I will share with you Jennifer Anyabuine's articles.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Many doctors allow a significant increase in some medications. Like AZGuy (who I have exchanged many helpful emails with on this forum over the years), I am not a big fan of calcium or probiotics. No doubt those items work well for some, but for me, IBS is a chemical imbalance...which is often solved by chemicals (not surprising since that is how our synapses work communicating throughout our bodies). My doctor has allowed me to increase Immodium up to 20 a day (mostly because it doesn't get absorbed into the bloodstream too much...it stays in the colon). Lomotil wore off over the years, but Motofen is still working for me. WIth Motofen, you must remember that it is to be taken every 3 hours (as it says on the bottle). I was taking it every 5-6 hours, assuming it to be like Lomotil, and I came to the conclusion that it didn't work. When I finally read the directions and went to evey 3 hours, I had very good success! Good luck!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have constipation instead of diarrhea but I experience a similar issue. Whatever laxative I use becomes less and less effective over time. I also experience a similar issue with antidepressants, I guess it’s common with certain types of drugs according to my psychiatrist.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I tried the Calcium as well and ended up with horrific leg and foot cramps. Calcium MUST be taken in the right form and ratio with potassium and magnesium--if not, you get cramping (notice that, for heart attacks, they give a calcium blocker). There is no one single answer that works for everyone; you have to learn what works for you. I always suggest keeping a food diary. I would also add that, to start, eat only baked/grilled chicken or fish with well-cooked vegetables for at least 3 days, preferably a week. Then, slowly add in other foods. Always keep track of what you try, only 1 new thing at a time, and record your reaction. This method solves 2 problems. First, you learn what you CAN eat safely, which helps with traveling and going to work. Second, you learn what your triggers are and, so, can avoid them. You will also learn that small amounts may not trigger but larger amounts or smaller amounts eaten over several days add up to a problem. For instance, I can eat spaghetti today and be fine, but if I eat the leftovers tomorrow for lunch I'm in trouble.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well I apolgize and didn't direct it at any one person. I'm glad its helped. I've suffered with this for over 20 years and I'm just tired of seeing all these home remedies pushed when it gives false hope for people. I'm truly glad its helped you and I apoligize to you and anyone else that it has helped. Its just my frustration because NOTHING seems to work for me. And its like when you go to the doctor and they dont take your condition seriously or just tell you to "watch your diet" or eat more fiber. I get very frustrated at those kinds of answers. And I really question all these over the counter things that now claim IBS help of some kind when I think its just false advertising. Thats all. I'm glad its helped you and your stage of your IBS issues.
I agree. Like you said, different solutions for different people. For me it has NOTHING to do with diet or relaxation techniques. It is ALL chemical - which doesn't surprise me since our bodies send messages throughout the body via synapses (i.e. chemically).

21 - 25 of 25 Posts