Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been visiting my regular doctor every three weeks and the GI every six weeks. Between the three of us we are trying different meds to see what works best for me. I am currently taking Lomotil for the D), Paxil (for the anxiety), and after reading people's successes with calcium supplements I bought Os Cal (haven't started that yet). The paxil doesn't seem to be doing anything, and I try to take the Lomotil only if I have to go out (which I try to avoid leaving the house at all costs). It makes me constipated the next day though. Has anyone had any experience with any of these? I asked my doc about the calcium and he said that he had not heard of that helping D. I figured at this point I am willing to try anything. What has worked best for people? I need to be able to do things away from the house in the summer. I am sick of being stuck in the house. I need serious help!!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Caltrate has helped alot of people.If the Paxil does not work for you and they want you to try another antidepressant, I highly recommend trying a tricyclic antidepressant for D - elavil or imipramine. They cause your gut to slow down and that alone can stop the D (it did for me).Others with IBS-D swear by Remeron (also an antidepressant).Paxil and the SSRIs can actually cause D as a side effect in some people. Just something to think about, especially if you do not think that your D is caused by anxiety/stress...

·
Registered
82 Posts
I went through the same things you are. I, as most of us, could write a book on how manys ways this effects one's life.I NO LONGER have to live my life according to IBS whims.I take Immunolin in addition to an AD, calcium, multi vit, CoQ10.I take Zantac at night. This works for me !!!Immunolin is available on the net at swansonvitamins.com.Please try one bottle of it. It gave me my life back! It works for me ,what else can I say?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It may be worth either seeing if you can take a lower dosage of the Lomotil, or get Imodium which works in a simlar mechanism and can be bought in a liquid so you can take just the amount you need.How long have you been on the Paxil??It can take a few weeks to be effective. If you are over 6 weeks an nothing, CALL THE DOCTOR. You should probably talk to the Dr. about how the Lomotil is going and see if they want to change the dosage/have suggestions.K.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
When you start on a new program of trying to get things to work it is always best to try one thing for a while and give it your best shot before adding something else. Many drugs have side effects that only add to your stomach upset.OS Cal is an osyter shell calcium and I do now know of anyone using that but it may work just as well I do not know. Calcium Carbonate with vitamin D and minerals I think would do best because you said you got constipated form the lomotil and if you get a calcium with a small amount of magneisum and get on a regular schedule maybe it can help.Did you have your gall bladder removed?Linda

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dear Bre, Just a suggestion because it is working for me. Try the "Specific Carbohydrate Diet" and see if the D doesn't stop immediately. It did for me after many years of feeling like you do, afraid to leave the house (even tho I had a job)....carrying around extra underwear. It's a restrictive dies, i.e. no starches, sugars, dairy products except eggs and butter. All the meat and veggies and fruits you want (no potatoes tho)I can even have my nightly wine. If you'd like, the author of this book/diet is Elaine gottschall. She's got a couple out. Good luck and don't lose heart!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have written some of them down and will research them and mention to my doctor what others suggested. I have only been on Paxil for a week so I realize I need to give that more time. Immodium does not work for me. I was taking it regularly for a long time and I think my body just got used to it. What is Immonolin? What does it do for IBS? I believe that my IBS flares up due to stress and sometimes what I eat. And also when I know I have to leave the house I get stuck in the bathroom for a while. It usually takes me a few times to actually get in the car then many times I have to come back up the driveway in a hurry. Thank goodness we have a bathroom in our garage!! Thanks for the advice at this point I am willing to do anything to get a real life.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Immunolin is an immunoglobulin supplement. IgG is the immunoglobulin and it is supposed to be important in normal gut health. It also must have something to do with allergies, because my allegies are almost non-existant since I began taking Immunolin.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
BreI just wanted to add that since you seem to get C from the lomotil, you might have the same problem with calcium. I alternate between the two and found I had to find the right balance of calcium and magnesium in my supplement. I also do hypnotherapy for the stress trigger. I now take far less immodium than I used to.Hopefully you'll work ourt the meds wth your doctors. I can't really help with the paxil or lomotil.take carenancy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts