Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 61 year old male using Lotronox. It has made a great improvement in my life. Now I can take my wife out to dinner and not worry about making it home without anaccident. Now I can work. Now I can go to church. Now I can have a normal life, butonly for 28 more days. That is all the pills I have left. My doctor told me to stop takingthem, I told him to go to hell.I want to hear from men that are, or have been, using lotronox. I want to know what luckyou have had, good or bad.

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
you bring up an interesting question as according to acepted wisdom lotronex is not supposed to help men. Your Dr. does sound like he (or she?)knows what he's trying to do though so ask him about alternatives.tom

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm 48 year old male and I was in the trials I started at the first of the year. The trials ended at the end of March. I then went on the real thing after that. I was told by my Dr. the same thing and when I see him I will tell him the samething. go to...... I will try other drugs but if they don't work I will go back to the drug until I run out. I have a lot of them....

·
Registered
411 Posts
I am male with over 24 years experience with IBS - D. The combination of Lotronex and my other meds has, as many others on this BB have said, made my life a lot more bearable.My GI doc has been very supportive of me wanting some viable alternative to Lotronex now the Wolfe and his buddies have chosen to protect all of us from regular bowel movements. I have a little over a months supply left so I intend to try a couple of alternatives before I'm completely out of Lotronex.I would willingly sign a waiver and get all of my prescriptions filled by a Board Certified GI doc.If you haven't taken Jeffrey's survey on Lotronex, please do so. The more individuals who complete it, the more valid the results.

·
Registered
66 Posts
43 yr old male..Ibs-d at least 5 yrs.Life and career on hold. Tried almost everything.Lotronex brought 99.5% improvement.5 days off the drug,pain and "D" in full encore. I won't take the drug anymore,it appears you can't tell there is a problem until you get in critical condition. Sending 90 tablets back to Glaxo.Plan on trying Caltrate soon. ~TK~------------------King of the Throne/Porcelain Prisoner

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
if this response is representative it seems to contradict 2 of the assumptions of current research - D & C are separte disorders and there is a sex difference in symptom/treatment. Also contradicts the FDA contention that there was no demonstrated effect of Lotronex? For myself, my try at lotronex led to increased constipation but that may be because I was told it would.tom

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wayne:I am 73 and male. Lotronex gives me normal function for the first time in years. I think we ought to form a "Lotronex Committee," like that idiot with the self- appointed Citizens Committee that put all the pressure on the FDA. It's time we applied some pressure of our own!Contact me: Richard Fireman<growingplace###compuserve.com>

·
Registered
116 Posts
Add me to the men who have responded so well to Lotronex. 45 y.o. I tried cutting back from one pill/day to a half per day for past week. Feel lousy. Achy, flu-like feeling, some D. Guess nobody at the FDA cared about the withdrawal symptoms everyone would suffer when they carelessly, Godlessly, decided to take the stuff away. I have a co-worker who left early today because her stomach was acting up after stopping Lotronex.This is horrendous. I will try to cut back gradually, until I come up with any other ideas. Good luck to all of you....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all of you that have responded to my posting. I looks like a lot of men were using Lotronox and had good results.I have had IBS "D" to some extent for most of my life. As I have gotten older it has become a lot harder to live with. I have tried different medications and diets, but the only thing that has helped was Lotronox.I am going to ask my Doctor for the paper work to try going on disability. I can't work with this any longer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Male 47, taking Lotronex since March. I have had very good results. Taking 1 per day and this dosage is working very well. If I become constipated, I don't take for a couple of days. Have about 1 months supply left. I also have expressed my feelings to the FDA. I want Lotronex put back on the market.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts