Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI: Menstrual cycle can affect bowel symptoms NEW YORK, Nov 25 (Reuters Health) -- The menstrual cycle can affect bowel symptoms in women with inflammatory bowel disease or irritable bowel syndrome, a study suggests."We observed in our large clinical practice that many women were reporting changes in their symptoms or flare-ups of their inflammatory bowel disease correlating with their menstrual cycle," said Dr. Stephen B. Hanauer of the University of Chicago, Illinois, in an interview with Reuters Health. To study the possible link, Hanauer and colleagues interviewed 49 women with ulcerative colitis, 49 with Crohn's disease, 46 with irritable bowel syndrome, and 90 healthy women without bowel problems. The symptoms of such disorders range from abdominal pain and diarrhea under stress to more severe bowel inflammation that can cause fever, anorexia, frequent hospitalization and the need for surgical removal of a portion of the intestine. The researchers found that 93% of women reported one or more of 18 premenstrual symptoms, including irritability, depression, and weight gain, and those with bowel disease reported premenstrual syndrome (PMS) and menstrual symptoms "more frequently" than other women. Those with irritable bowel syndrome and irritable bowel disease reported more diarrhea, either before or at the time of menstruation. And women with bowel disease were significantly more likely to have a monthly pattern to their bowel symptoms than controls. Treatment can help such cyclic variation in symptoms, according to Hanauer. "In many cases, either changing the cycle, for instance with oral contraceptives, or ablating the cycle with progesterone or leuprolide, can improve cyclic-related flare-ups," he said. SOURCE: American Journal of Gastroenterology 1998;93:1867-1872.------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forumI work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Ya know Eric, that's nice & all but I coulda saved them the trouble of doing the study
Treatment: Next Life; be a male.
BQ

·
Registered
287 Posts
My IBS problems first began about a month after I went on the pill. My doctor said there's no way it could have caused the IBS to begin but I still have my doubts. At first I took Ortho-TriCyclen but later switched to Loestrin to see if it would help. My IBS is still here but it did decrease the length of my period.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 - 5 of 5 Posts